Etrex Legend C

uintahiker

I picked up a Legend C a few months back from here on the garage sale part of the forum. I got a good deal on it and like the color screen and "lots" of memory. Anyway- I was cruising around yesterday on the web and noticed that the Legend C has been discontinued by Garmin. I guess they decided to go with the Cx version with the individual memory cards. So, apparently I have a perfectly awesome GPS that is obsolete. I don't care though- it works great for me! I don't plan on getting a new GPS for quite a while so I guess it really doesn't matter. I thought I'd just post as a point of interest. Happy caching!

I understand that the original Legend and Vista are tried and true, while also being best sellers but they are old technology that shoud be retired/discontinued as well. Maybe they are keeping them from a consumer price point model, but I would like to see them go by the wayside as well. The are too many great improvements in the new models to keep them around.

Edited by moonpup

Garmin is very smart for keeping the B&W Legend/Vista around. It covers the low end of the GPS mapping market for people who can't afford $200+ plus on a color unit or to those who don't want a color unit. It also would give a little bit of market share to Magellan's Explorist B&W models if they would discontinue them.

There is one advantage the Legend B&W have over the Legend-Cx's is the basemap is more detailed in the B&W unit.

Having more choices is always good for the consumer. It's a lesson that Magellan failed to learn and is paying dearly for it now by only having one line of handheld GPS unit.

Edited by gpsblake