Lowrance iFinder

parker313

I just got a Lowrance iFinder Pro (Plus) this weekend and so far, I really like it. My only problem is that when I loaded the caches from GSAK onto my MMC card, the cache icons didn't make it. The names, size and diff/terr made it, but not the actual icon.

I'm going to go and poke around and see if I can find the answer myself, but thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone else knew what to do.

Thanks!

--Kristin

PS - The maps from MC made it just fine as well, it's just the cache icons that didn't make it.

OK, I found out that the reason that the icons aren't showing up is that those icons aren't loaded into my iFinder (apparently). For one category I chose a skull & crossbones and that icon is showing as that icon is loaded.

I'd *really* like to be able to see the different icons that are caching specific rather than just choosing dots or Xs. Anyone know if that's possible?

The Pro, I'm quite positive, doesn't have the geocaching icons. My newer Explorer doesn't either. You have to have the Expedition C to take advantage of these. Maybe the Hunt C has them too -- I'm not sure. I don't know of any way to add icons, and don't think it is possible.

Actually, only the most recent version of GSAK added these new icons for Lowrance.

At first, I was annoyed by the lack of icon choices (even though there are many icons, they aren't caching-related). Then, I just assigned the different categories to a different icon and became familiar with what each of them stood for with some experience in the field. I've gotten used to what my icons mean.

Edited by Steel City Seekers

I use a unit very similar to yours. I just picked out what I thought would work in my mind and could remember.

For example:

Flag Buoy= Traditional Cache

Cross = Traditional Micro

Exclamation = Puzzle

Two Fish = Multi

and so on with what I have available....

ifindericonsyz9.png

Now the Expedition C's have this icon set, I highlighted the ones useful for Geocaching with green boxes......

am60screeniconsaq4.png

Thanks Airmapper. I was hoping you'd post, I need to bookmark your Lowrance user's guide :lol:

I *really* like that I can distinguish child waypoints from other waypoints - with my eXplorist, I was always trying to find caches at points that popped up on my screen, not being able to tell that they were just parking coords.

Question for Lowrance users>>>

I'm shopping for a new GPSr.

The Lowrance iFinder series requires, if I read the manual right, that waypoints be first converted into a special format file, then loaded onto the flash card via their proprietary card reader, then inserted into the GPSr under the batteries.

There is no USB interface, and the serial cable can not be used to transfer waypoints, only position data.

Do I have that right? And how much of a bother is all that?

I have an old Garmin etrex (yellow) that I'm upgrading, and the Lowrance process seems unnecessarily slow and complex. Otherwise, though, they make some attractive devices.

Appreciate some useability comments from actual Lowrance users.

TIA

-ArtMan-

For the most part, you are correct. Based on my experiences and things I've read:

waypoints be first converted into a special format file

Yes, waypoints must be converted into the .usr format. This isn't any different than any of the other manufacturers where waypoints must be converted to their format. GSAK and other programs will perform this conversion relatively painlessly. I'd refer you to Airmapper's tutorial on accompishing this -- see the link to his site in his post above.

then loaded onto the flash card via their proprietary card reader

No, you can load waypoints using any card reader. The issue is with loading maps from the MapCreate software. To do this, you must first register the card in the MapCreate software using the proprietary reader (you can register up to five cards to the software). Once you've registered the card, you can then use any reader to write maps (and waypoints) to the card.

inserted into the GPSr under the batteries

Yes, it is under the batteries, which hasn't been much of an issue for me because I have to change the batteries every so often anyhow and the SD card is exposed while the batteries are out. Just read/write your data when changing the batteries. Even so, it isn't much of a hassle to pull out the card even if you only want to switch out data. Is it as easy as just plugging in a GPS? No, but it isn't all that much more of a hassle.

There is no USB interface, and the serial cable can not be used to transfer waypoints, only position data.

You don't get a serial cable with the GPS. Lowrance's intention is that you manage data via the storage card. You can purchase a cable separately to send position data to a different device, such as a PC or Pocket PC by transmitting the NMEA data from the iFinder to the other device. And, there are third-party cable solutions to transfer waypoint data from the PC to the iFinder. This, of course, would be a solution if you didn't want to use the SD card reader to manage your data and would serve the same purpose of transferring data similar to the methods employed by Garmin and Magellan receivers.

how much of a bother is all that?

See above for some of my opinions on how much of a bother it is. I don't mind. The SD card shows up as another drive on the PC just like you might be used to seeing with any card reader. So, it's simple to manage data. You still have to change your batteries occasionally, and opening the door on my iFinder is way easier and less time consuming that it is on my eXplorist with having to dig out the screw "handle" and unscrew/rescrew the batter cover. I can have the iFinder's batteries and storage card out in a third the time it takes to expose the batteries on the eXplorist. On the other hand, this is the first and only receiver I've had that can communicate with the PC, so take the above for what its worth.

If you insist on using a direct cable connection, it can be done. Otherwise, I don't think the card reader process is too bad.