eXplorist 600 - Press ENTER and it shuts off!

wh0f4rted

Ok so I just got an eXplorist 600 and I'm uploading some POI's with easygps and my GPS shuts off. Now when I turn it on it says "Press ENTER to configure NAND Press ESC to cancel" Either option just shuts the GPS unit off. Being a stinkin' noob to this stuff I have no idea what to do next?!? Any ideas?

Ok so I just got an eXplorist 600 and I'm uploading some POI's with easygps and my GPS shuts off. Now when I turn it on it says "Press ENTER to configure NAND Press ESC to cancel" Either option just shuts the GPS unit off. Being a stinkin' noob to this stuff I have no idea what to do next?!? Any ideas?

Your unit might be tanked, but before you go sending it in for maintenance (or returning it to the store) you might try this "short-cut". Hole the "Enter" and "Menu" buttons down when you turn the unit on. This should prompt you to erase all memory. I would give that a try and see if it resolves it for you. This symptom happened to my wife's eXplorist 600 and I used one of the "hidden menu" clear commands (not one the system warned me about though).

I got that short-cut from this web page (PDF file I think): http://home.comcast.net/~fabienroyer/Merid...en%20%2Bmenu%22

Yea I'm afraid it is shot, I'm not looking forward to waiting forever to get it RMA'ed either. I tried the hidden boot codes and the only one that would work was the "Load Software" one and my computer couldn't see the unit. I guess I will cross my fingers and hope it doesn't take forever. I was getting pretty excited to join the Geocaching festivities as well!

Well I brought it back to life using Code "95" but I lost my basemap in the process. Does anyone know if I can download the Default basemap for the eXplorist 600? I think if I had that I would be back to square one!!

Basemaps for Explorists (and explorist-specific service codes...they do follow the Meridian codes closely) are available here.

It works now! Just don't have the basemap. It says that there is no basemap loaded. So if I bought MapSend Topo and uploaded a new detail basemap I should be set?? or am I crazy?

You're not crazy, just delusional. :laughing:

Topo3D will let you create detail maps, but you still need a basemap for it to boot up properly (even if you never look at the basemap). It's a pretty easy matter to download and install a new basemap...the trickiest challenge I found was to decompress the rar compressed file. Just be sure to read the readme.

Edited by embra

Well I have uploading the basemap worked! She is running like a champ now. However I have decided to send my Magellan eXplorist back. I am not very impressed with MapSend Topo and it seems that Garmin's MapSource Topo will be a better fit. I ordered a Garmin 60CSx this morning and hopefully I wont have any stupid questions for you guys on that one!! Thanks for everyone's help, this is a great place, I am glad I found it!

Well I have uploading the basemap worked! She is running like a champ now. However I have decided to send my Magellan eXplorist back. I am not very impressed with MapSend Topo and it seems that Garmin's MapSource Topo will be a better fit. I ordered a Garmin 60CSx this morning and hopefully I wont have any stupid questions for you guys on that one!! Thanks for everyone's help, this is a great place, I am glad I found it!

Have you used the Garmin with its Topo maps? I ask this because you may be very disappointed in your decision if you have not.

I am speaking from personal experience here, as I have with me an eXporist 600 with the Magellan Topo3D maps, and a GPSMap 60CSx with the Garmin MapSource TOPO USA. The Garmin maps are very inaccurate in my area, as they do not show may roads /subdivisions that have existed for over 10-15 years. They even show roads as "in tact" even though they were "interrupted" by the addition of I-94 many years ago. The Magellan Topo maps are much more accurate in this aspect. I really enjoy the fact that the Garmin maps even show the airport runways at the old Nike Missile facility less than 2 miles from my office, even though those runways have been gone for many years as well...

Don't take me wrong, I like my Garmin, but if you find the Magellan Topo maps to be inadequate for you, the Garmin ones may be even worse since they appear to be based on much older data.

From what I have read the Magellan topos do not show any of the back roads and what not. I am interested in the forest and service roads which Garmin Topos are suppose to have. I have been looking through Mapsource topo and its not to bad, not as good as they could be though. I never had a chance to look at the Magellan topos, I just went off of what I had read.

It's true that the most recent Magellan topo software--Mapsend Topo3D--has fairly recent street data, but lacks the logging roads and such. I don't know how Garmin does on those (it's outside my experience), but I think that the older Mapsend Topo, which will not run on explorists but does run on Meridians and SporTracks, is the best for forest roads. The highways and main roads were rather woefully dated and, depending on where one was in the country, the maps were sometimes off a bit. But they were very good for little-traveled back roads.

Well I brought it back to life using Code "95" but I lost my basemap in the process. Does anyone know if I can download the Default basemap for the eXplorist 600? I think if I had that I would be back to square one!!

Basemaps for Explorists (and explorist-specific service codes...they do follow the Meridian codes closely) are available here.

My explorist 400 died yesterday morning of the same issues that most other folks on here have complained about--the NAND thing and lost basemaps. I got it up and running but without a basemap. I WANTED TO MENTION THAT WHEN I WENT TO DOWNLOAD THE BASEMAP THE ABOVE PAGE WAS NOT AVAILABLE. Unless you know of another spot on the web to get this file I would proceed with caution as you'll need to reload your basemap to get the GPS working again. It isn't packed with your software and isn't available at Magellan's web site. Magellan's outsourced tech support chastised me for the 95 move and claimed I voided the warranty, which I guess I did, but then again their machine left me stranded, so... They later called back to say they would fix it under warranty but unfortunately I had to hang up on them to reach this point.

My explorist 400 died yesterday morning of the same issues that most other folks on here have complained about--the NAND thing and lost basemaps. I got it up and running but without a basemap. I WANTED TO MENTION THAT WHEN I WENT TO DOWNLOAD THE BASEMAP THE ABOVE PAGE WAS NOT AVAILABLE. Unless you know of another spot on the web to get this file I would proceed with caution as you'll need to reload your basemap to get the GPS working again. It isn't packed with your software and isn't available at Magellan's web site. Magellan's outsourced tech support chastised me for the 95 move and claimed I voided the warranty, which I guess I did, but then again their machine left me stranded, so... They later called back to say they would fix it under warranty but unfortunately I had to hang up on them to reach this point.

My Explorist 400 does the same thing BUT no matter what I do it still has the loop... I guess it will have to back, I cant get it out of that screen .