Software Suggestions for Win CE

planecrazy29

There isn't much in the line of freeware GPS programs for the Pocket PCs, at least as far as mapping is concerned.

What is your primary intention for the software? Do you want street software that provides routes and turn-by-turn directions or are you looking for more off-road/topo software?

I've never used it personally, but have read lots of opinions and a few reviews about DeLorme that are not good at all. At least for the Pocket PC -- maybe the laptop program is much better.

I have personally used Mapopolis and find it to be excellent for road navigation. It also is very geocaching-friendly allowing you to import .gpx files and it has a compass screen like a handheld GPS.

The one thing that people will tell you about the Pocket PC mapping products is that some of the packages are very good at some things and not as good with others, but no product is excellent at everything. Therefore, you have to figure out which one is good for you.

I'd highly suggest that you spend a few hours over at http://www.aximsite.com/

They have a GPS Talk forum there that is very active with lots of opinions and helpful links for both road navigation and off-road software.

In addition to that, you'll want to check out programs like GPX Sonar (freeware) and Cachemate (inexpensiveware -- a new term that I just made up) for cache database management. They're like Pocket PC versions of GSAK, but not quite as powerful.

There are also other programs like Beeline GPS that are meant to nagigate you to a cache, but I've never used it.

Search Aximsite for mapping software. Search Aximsite and GC.com for cache database management and software such as Beeline.

I use an older HP Jornada with the windows for pocket pc which i think is CE? I use GSAK and export to HTML the file of all those places so i can see the hints, instructions or whatnot and what other caches are around, then I use GSAK to export it to a Streets and Trips File. Import into Streets and Trips and export one more time to Pocket PC the selected map area with the waypoints. Sounds like a lot of importing and exporting but it really isn't. Works very well for me. A lot easier than paper.