GPSMAP60 Good? Bad? Would you buy? Why?

carolnbarney

I've been looking at a GPSMAP60 as a possible purchase for a first time GPS. I'd been looking at the Legend too. I understand the difference in the price with the 60 roughly a hundred more. Is the 60 worth the extra hundred? In the pictures, it looks as though the 60's screen is clearer, but that's only from looking at the pictures. The 60 being able to handle an external antenna is attractive, but I don't know how much that would add if any to it's use. The additional memory in the 60 speaks for itself.

My looking/shopping is limited to web surfing and messages like this with responses from kind hearted folks like yourselves. I've read and read and looked and looked at the spec sheets and pictures and after a while it gets mind boggling. Thus I'm limited to relying on information I can gather since there's no way I know of to try these things.

I value very highly you folks comments. This will probably be the only GPS I will be able to purchase for a long time and want to make the best choice.

We teach classes to teachers using the GPS 60 series.

They are gret units. One difference between it and the Legend is the type of antenna.

The GPS 60s have a helix antenna and the regular Legend has a patch antenna.

The helix will pick up a lot better under trees etc.

In terms of screens, the GPS60 and the GPS 60 map are basically the same, the only difference is that the GPS 60 Map does have basic features mapped in them and you can add additional detail with the mapping software from Garmin (which is more expensive)

You mentioned a one time purchase, the GPS 60 Map is a good choice you can aways get the software later.

Ed

Edited by egorny