Need new keypad for 60csx

GreyingJay

So I just spent the equivalent of four months of groceries on a Garmin 60csx a few months ago, and I make use of the handy included belt clip. Unfortunately last weekend I bumped something rough while the unit was attached to my belt, and one of the buttons got its top sliced off...

It's the "IN" button (zoom in). On this series of units, these buttons are little rubber half-spheres that poke up out of the bezel. I must have hit something with a very well defined edge that simply sliced off the top of the button. What's left is still usable, but it takes a harder press to get the button to "click" and when the backlight is on the entire surface area of the remaining button is green since the black paint and stencilled lettering "IN" is gone.

Anyway, I have not opened up the unit, but my guess is that the entire keypad is one piece of molded rubber that overlays onto the membrane switches and LEDs.

Any idea if:

- this could be covered under warranty?

- whether this is a user-replaceable part?

- where I can buy this part?

- how much it would cost?

Just wondering if anyone here knows of any options before I call Garmin.

If you could get the part it would be user replaceable, HOWEVER opening the unit will void your warrenty and they will know. I'd first call and see if warrenty will fix it as they usually have very good customer service. If they won't do it for free and you want to keep the warrenty Garmin has a flat repair fee of $100 (might have gone up to 125) of which they will do anything for the unit. That is the best bet if they won't do it for free and you either want the warrenty or don't feel like you have the experience to take the unit apart and put a new pad in.

If you COULD get the keypad it would probably only cost 2-3 dollars.

good luck!

I had the same thing happen to my 60CSx when it was 3 days old, when I went over the bars on my bike and rolled down a steep hill. The 60CSx was in my pack, but still got two of the buttons snapped off just like you said. I was thinking of gluing them back, but figured it would never be quite right. I called Garmin and honestly explained what happened. They covered it under warranty, no charge. Even better, when I got the unit back, they tossed in a carry case, MapSource Topo software, extra microSD card, and other freebies! What a company!

If needed, for Garmin's 60CSx, the full refurbish price for out of warranty is $175. See here. But if you're less than a year, call to see if you can get a sympathetic support person.

I had the same thing happen to my 60CSx when it was 3 days old, when I went over the bars on my bike and rolled down a steep hill. The 60CSx was in my pack, but still got two of the buttons snapped off just like you said. I was thinking of gluing them back, but figured it would never be quite right. I called Garmin and honestly explained what happened. They covered it under warranty, no charge. Even better, when I got the unit back, they tossed in a carry case, MapSource Topo software, extra microSD card, and other freebies! What a company!

Wow! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try calling then. That's a heck of a lot of freebies! :tired:

So you did have to send it to them for repairs, eh? Hmm, good thing I have a spare GPS.. how long did it take to get it back?