GPS recommendations

harum_scarum

Well, since no one else has answered, I'll give you my pick

Garmin Etrex Yellow

This is a basic, and probably the most popular (for geocaching anyway) GPS. I think it's great for a new cacher because it's fairly inexpensive (and it's now 20 bucks less than I paid for it on Amazon 3 years ago), easy to use and figure out, and pretty sturdy. It doesn't have maps or anything fancy, but I've found 1300 caches with mine without a hitch, and have found no reason to "upgrade." I use paper maps (printed from Mapquest or similar) to find cache area, and then use GPS to find cache from parking or thereabouts.

Many people upgrade to GPSrs with maps and such if they decide to cache paperless only, but if you are on a budget, I think this is the way to go. The best part is, if you decide that geocaching isn't your thing, or that you'll only be doing it from time-to-time, then you haven't spent a lot of money on equipment.

If you decide that the Magellan brand is more to your liking, then any of the lower priced Explorist GPS units are a good choice.

Good luck, have fun!

Not sure what you mean by "reasonably priced", but Cool Lib's suggestion of the yellow eTrex is a good one, but the data cable doesn't come with it and is a $30 add on. The eTrex Legend is around $120 and comes with the cable included. When you factor in that the price difference is negligible and the Legend has mapping.

Another option is the eTrex Venture CX which is the latest generation of eTrex. It has much improved reception over the older units (including the two previously mentioned), autorouting, expandible map memory and a USB connection. With Garmin's $50 rebate you can find a Venture CX for around $160 which is a great deal for a full featured unit that you are unlikely to outgrow for a long time.