Event Cache

gerboa

I have been encouraged to make an event cache, and would like any ideas from fellow cachers, perhaps especially what not to do/expect.

It is published on the Thailand Page not "all my own work" The Event

btw a newbie, (we're all newbies here), has just received the accolade of "Best Cache Ever" from a guy who has cached in 30 countries, "Rock Climber" Best Ever ??

"I see I have missed a "not" in the title."

Edited by gerboa

DO have some "theme" - even something as simple as an Ice Cream social. It'll help you come up with more ideas and help attendees know what to expect as far as dress; how much money to bring; what supplies or equipment to have on hand; etc.

DO shake down MAgellan, Garmin, GSAK or GC.com for some promotional items. You might need some extra time for the stuff to arrive but even some cheapie geegaws are a special treat. ...

DO think about whether alcohol will be served. More of a factor in the US and other uptight countries but in any setting it is something to be considered.

DO decide how much you want to encourage or discourage children. Have activities for them if you want the whole family.

DO NOT micromanage every minute of the gathering.

DO leave time for yourself and your guests to visit and mingle.

Edited by Torry

Dear Gerboa~

I think your event sounds fine ~ as far as getting together and exchanging stories with a visiting cacher. Looking at your cache page I have two problems. It looks like a 'choose one of two places to meet'. Are these both at the same time, or are there two different events / meetings possible. Seems a bit confusing to me. Also, wherever you are meeting, I would insist that people log their intention to come, and have it at a restaurant that can accommodate a group. If you have 20 people, and they are scattered at tables in various parts of the room, you will not get the exchange of conversation that you desire. Better to ask for committment and find a place that can seat you all together.

Sitting down for some good food and drink, followed by a walk together to find nearby caches is lovely. If all your local participants have found the nearby caches, you may want to hide a new one or two so that there is something for everyone to log.

And I have a couple concerns about the Hard Rock Cafe. Sorry, I'm just an American who would hate to go to what I think of as an exotic country and find myself at an American chain restaurant, but my other concern is volume. You want a place that isn't blasting loud, because you will want to TALK about geocaching.

I am not a world traveler. I know that here, a restaurant is not likely to hand out seperate checks to every person in a large party. You need to think about how the bill is going to be paid, who is going to keep track of how much each person owes. If you're in charge of the party, you may get stuck if not everybody pays enough to cover themselves and tip.

Also, here, for a large party the restaurant often tacks on a gratuity ~ often 17 or 18%. Don't know your country at all, but make sure you're not tipping on top of a tip.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself.

KB

Edited by bumblingbs

Dear Gerboa~

I think your event sounds fine ~ as far as getting together and exchanging stories with a visiting cacher. Looking at your cache page I have two problems. It looks like a 'choose one of two places to meet'. Are these both at the same time, or are there two different events / meetings possible. Seems a bit confusing to me. Also, wherever you are meeting, I would insist that people log their intention to come, and have it at a restaurant that can accommodate a group. If you have 20 people, and they are scattered at tables in various parts of the room, you will not get the exchange of conversation that you desire. Better to ask for committment and find a place that can seat you all together.

Sitting down for some good food and drink, followed by a walk together to find nearby caches is lovely. If all your local participants have found the nearby caches, you may want to hide a new one or two so that there is something for everyone to log.

And I have a couple concerns about the Hard Rock Cafe. Sorry, I'm just an American who would hate to go to what I think of as an exotic country and find myself at an American chain restaurant, but my other concern is volume. You want a place that isn't blasting loud, because you will want to TALK about geocaching.

I am not a world traveler. I know that here, a restaurant is not likely to hand out seperate checks to every person in a large party. You need to think about how the bill is going to be paid, who is going to keep track of how much each person owes. If you're in charge of the party, you may get stuck if not everybody pays enough to cover themselves and tip.

Also, here, for a large party the restaurant often tacks on a gratuity ~ often 17 or 18%. Don't know your country at all, but make sure you're not tipping on top of a tip.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself.

KB

As usual nothing simple.The Hard Rock, have yet to respond to my request to put a cache or two there, after paying for a lot of their Nearly $10 small heinekens plus most expensive grub anywhere...

The German place, the owner knew nothing about it (it was a referal) had no email, no interest and was rude,

(perhaps I should not wear my avatar.)

At the moment we don't have a place, if you see another thread about most/lear attendees at an event you will see why it's no biggie.

$10 small Heinekens? Guess that's one reason I'll not be a world traveler. But American, German? Uh, you're in Thailand, no? A friendly local place will trump anything else. Show your local color, don't go to a place with attitude that's geared to tourists. Or have a potluck somewhere. Friendly local flavor is the ticket.

Here are some steps to setting up an easy event:

1. Where: choose a restaurant or park that has easy access or parking and the management is friendly. be upfront with owner about what you need: a place that sits 20-30 people preferably as your own section

2. When: try to pick a day and time which is convienient for both the local cachers and the establishment: (example: tuesday at 7:30 pm), a bad example is Friday at 5:00 pm where people might get stuck in traffic and the place may get busy)

3. Call a couple of days in advance to confirm your reservation and to confirm numbers (since you have an idea from posting the cache page)

4. On the cache page give as much information as possible, parking, location, times, date, directions etc. what to expect, whether children are allowed etc.

5. At the event, greet everyone show them the section you have reserved and hand out door prizes. It is usually best to have single tabs or else you end up footing for the tips, taxes and a couple of extra drinks.

6. Sit down and relax and share caching stories. Also, check in once with the waitress or bartender to see if there are any problems or if everything is running smoothly.

7. Tell people what to do with travel bugs or coins they have brought to trade

8. Have fun! I usually have a theme like:

Geocacher's Anonymous Gathering or celebrating someone's Milestone cache

hope this helps =)