Can I convert a bunch of .txt files to a single .kmz?

darwinmay

Someone on the local forums needed the page files for the Kansas DeLorme Challenge, so I thought I would take up the challenge of putting together the files myself. Going along fine, however I'd like to also have a .kmz with the page definitions (such as http://www.switchbacks.com/files/Geocaching/WDC/WDC-GE.kmz). Is this possible with gpsbabel (I'm using version 1.2.7 from the Ubuntu apt repositories)?

The .txt files are located at blueninja.homelinux.org/caching/KSDCPages.zip.

Edited by BlueNinja

GPSBabel isn't where I'd start with that. This is a plain ole text conversion problem. Looking at the kmz file and the indifvidual Pages files (each appears to be five points to get a closed polygon) I'd just write a little shell or perl (or awk or python or whatever...) ditty that looped over them and then wrote out the appropriate Placemark/linearRing sections.

(Hint kmz is gzipped kml....)

any reason why I couldn't convert them to a kml, then gzip into a kmz?
Well, if you have a KML there's no reason to make a kmz - Google Earth can read either.

To make the KML files yourself, you wouldn't need MUCH scripting. I don't think GPSBabel would handle the text files in the form you have them, so that would be even MORE work. So either bite the bullet and learn SOME kind of scripting/programming language - or find someone else to do it for you....

No, I'm not volunteering :blink: But that's about the only reason I ever write a line of code anymore: Some odd little chore for which no other tool exists? Write one!

Edited by lee_rimar