A Thought on Multicaches

Hiking Cockroachess

Lately I've been seeing a trend...people not stating how many legs are in a multicache. Now, while this is okay in urban areas, it can cause some real issues in the wild. It's not unusual for me to go to a leg in a multicache and see a delicate area torn up, with much damage. This is usually when the number of legs of the multi was withheld by the cache owner. While the cachers weren't intentionally trying to rip up the area, they incurred more damage because they didn't know what size to look for...the final or another micro.

I don't mind tough hides, but when they are placed in delicate areas, there should be more information given...for the environment's sake! If we want the parks organizations to respect us, we have to prove that we are responsible cachers whether we are placing or searching. The foliage and ground cover should be preserved as much as possible, without creating major changes to the erosion levels. Now, my suggestion to help minimize the damage is to have an area where the cache owner has to state the number of legs when submitting. This in turn could be read on the cache page, just as we read the size of the final container. As small a thing as this might a big difference in how we maintain our environment. Thanks for listening! :lol:

I never considered the possibility of not knowing what to expect causing damage. Interesting. I just don't do multicaches if they don't say how many legs they have. I guess some people enjoy not knowing what they are getting into, but I'm always afraid that I'll stumble into some monster cache with so many legs that I either give up in the middle or be stuck doing it long after the excitement has worn off.