Desktop application that draws routes?

I have been searching for a cheap desktop topographic application that would allow me to draw a route and then transfer the route to my PDA as a Gpx file. I hve seen some online applications that can do this but they use a "road" background. I would like to use a topograghic background. I think Memory Map and a couple other program do this but the price has me a little boogered.

Well, there is USAPhotoMaps, a free program, that will let you create a route over USGS Topo that it pulls from TerraServer. I know I can then upload this route to my Garmin GPSr. Once I have it loaded I can then download it (in Mapsource) and save it as a .gpx file. Not sure how you are hoping to work with it and your PDA.

Thanks for the replies.

I was wanting to create routes for Backcountry Navigator. It is a great program but does not have a route creation function. It does however have a function which allows tracks to be imported as a GPX file. I have seen several free applications that routes can be drawn and exported but most of these use a "road" background. I was looking for an application which uses a topo background.

It seems USAPhotoMaps does this but the GPX files from USAPhotoMaps does not open in Backcountry Navigator. I am able to export the GPX files in Google Earth just fine, however. The problem may be on BN's side. I plan to contact them. The developer of Backcountry Navigator has been very good to respond to customer's imput.

Any thoughts?

Edited by rlridgeway

The problem with the GPX files was on Backcountry Navigator's end. They have corrected the problem.

We can now create routes in USAPhotoMaps and export them into Backcountry Navigator.

If your PDA accepts JPGs, you could save the topo (or aerial for that matter) from USAPhotomaps as a JPG and then sync it to your PDA.

Thanks for the reply.

Backcountry Navigator only works with maps it downloads from Terraserver and these are converted into the native .db3 extension.

Backcountry Navigator can now use the GPX files imported from USAPhotoMaps. As far as I know, all the info I need can be loaded as GPX files. This combination of USAPhotoMaps is a great low cost solution. For some good whiz effect I also import GPX files into Google Earth.

The process is fairly simple and works great.

Edited by rlridgeway