Wanted: Free GPS unit for classroom

I am a teacher in a low soci-economic area. Like many other schools funding dollars are tight. I have a class of students who have trouble with reading and writing and as such geography textbooks are useless to us. I thought that geocaching and other things that could be done with a GPS unit would be the PERFECT way to get these students involved with their community, the environment, communicating with others, learning math, and learning/practicing many geography skills.

We would also love to set up some travel bugs and have students communicate with those that find the bugs.

If you can help out with either of these requests, please let me know. I would be happy to cover shipping or pick up if in the greater Toronto area. Thanks for reading the request and I hope I haven't offended anyone with the posting. If this was an illegal post (I can't tell specifically from the guidelines) - I appologize!

Thanks kindly,

Kristen

Hello my name is Don

aka Mrarchery

I am a National Shooting Sports Instructor and Outdoor Skills Leader

I have started a new gps class for 4-H in Colorado while doing this I contacted Magellan in hopes of some help with purchasing some gps units to use I also contacted several other manufactures of gps units. Magellan was right on with me they supplied 4 Explorisst 400 units and software to support them FREE of charge to us to keep!!!!!! all others turned us down. If you spend some time looking you will find them online

i wont give you the addrress as I had to surch for it and if you are serious yo will find it. I will tell you the persons name is Amanda Higgins she is in charge of promotional donations. they have a few hoops you have to jump through but they are very nice and professional to deal with

I hope you have the same luck as myself!!!!!!

I also Have a travel bug that started in colorado and is now in London WOW

DONT GIVE UP ITS WORTH THE WORK

Don Marr (mrarchery)

I am a teacher in a low soci-economic area. Like many other schools funding dollars are tight. I have a class of students who have trouble with reading and writing and as such geography textbooks are useless to us. I thought that geocaching and other things that could be done with a GPS unit would be the PERFECT way to get these students involved with their community, the environment, communicating with others, learning math, and learning/practicing many geography skills.

We would also love to set up some travel bugs and have students communicate with those that find the bugs.

If you can help out with either of these requests, please let me know. I would be happy to cover shipping or pick up if in the greater Toronto area. Thanks for reading the request and I hope I haven't offended anyone with the posting. If this was an illegal post (I can't tell specifically from the guidelines) - I appologize!

Thanks kindly,

Kristen

You may also want to look for grants in your area. Best Buy is good about providing grant opportunities if you have one within 50 miles of your school.

The companies that make GPS units do not seem to realize how underfunded school budgets can be. The best offer I have ever had from a manufacturer was 40% off the manufacturers suggested retail price---others were even less generous. And yet, I know that those same companies have donated units to geocaching events, to nature parks and naturalists, and to other large private organizations.

People seem to think that schools have unlimited amounts of money. The average teacher pays $589 out of their own pcoket each year for classroom supplies--I know many who spend more than that--a lot more. I spend more than that myself each year. (Our buget has been frozen the last two years and I couldn't buy anything with department money except replacement parts. The last two years I have spent more than I even want to consider!).

I'd like to use GPS units in my classroom also. I've been trying to get them for two years now. I need about 5-10 units because my classes are large. I can "make do" with about 5 units. Even thought the budget is unfrozen now, I will only be able to spend about $200 on GPS units---because that is all there is, and I'm going to have to do without other supplies to use the money for the GPS. I've finally decided I'm going to have to buy the rest with my own money --or get a grant --or do without.

I've written my grant proposals--and I'm keeping my fingers crossed and looking for serious bargains. I'm not quite ready to admit defeat and do without.

Hope you have better luck than I did with the manuafacturers.

This isnt a geocache. Shes simply asking for help. You offer her advice on how to get help from Magellan, yet you send her on a goosechase to get the help? At any rate heres the address/info Kristen:

Amanda Higgins

471 El Camino Real

Santa Clara, CA 95050

U.S.A.

ahiggins@thalesnavigation.com

Hopefully this is more useful to you and they will be able to help! Good Luck!

i wont give you the addrress as I had to surch for it and if you are serious yo will find it.

Thanks kindly,

Kristen

Edited by Fhantazm