Rules about "live" travel bugs?

ChicagoCanineCrew

Hello!

I've noticed a couple people are "live travel bugs" (carry a TB with them which they or others can log.) I was wondering if there are any official rules on travel bugs especially involving "live" TBs (ie people or peoples' property that is a TB.)

I had a good idea for a TB that would actually have two good uses (one to help me keep track of a certain factor while caching, and two to let me meet more cachers!).

However I wanted to make sure there is nothing in any rules the site against live TBs of this sort and also what the ettiquette is for logging "live" TBs into caches. I was also wondering if many people are against this type of TB (would I get a bad reception if I did it?)

Is it ok to log the live TB into/out of every cache "it" visits? Is this frowned upon? Will cache owners get mad at me for "dipping" it?

Also, do you think people be interested in logging this TB if I asked them to only log that they "discovered" it and not drop it into/out of any caches? (I would want to only drop it in caches that it actually visited...not have other people drop or remove it from a cache.)

(ETA last question)

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew

Dipping is perfectly acceptable, allowing others you've met to Discover it is fine too.

The main 'rule' is that gc.com doesn't want to see tracking numbers being shared so people around the world can log a bug or coin they've never seen, and they especially don't want people logging them through caches they've never visited. You'll get your traveler locked down for that kind of thing.

Otherwise enjoy logging your bug, I've got 375 logs and 21407.7mi on my personal TB. Word of warning, all that logging gets a bit tedious.

Thanks guys! :rolleyes: I took the leap. Check out my (dog's) new "travel bug"--

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=209517

I hope I did it right with the logging of previous finds and all... I will be changing the description to make it better, and possible the name as well soon. If anyone has good ideas to improve the description it would be appreciated since this is my first TB.

This should be a good way/place to post pics and to keep track of the caches she's visited! If anyone sees us on the trail make sure to "discover" the TB. :rolleyes: