Demographically speaking, who geocaches?

The Muse

I once paid over $200 for a rock.

I assure you, that's perfectly reasonable.

So Mrs. Ant keeps telling me when she bugs me for another diamond in her wedding ring. And yet, when we urgently need a better GPSr ... :laughing::o

Mrs. Gator's "extra" diamond is going to college right now! :laughing: We have two more diamonds heading there in the next 3 years. :D None of our diamonds or Mrs. Gator like to geocache anymore. :laughing: But I do! :) Edited by TrailGators
I once paid over $200 for a rock.

I assure you, that's perfectly reasonable.

So Mrs. Ant keeps telling me when she bugs me for another diamond in her wedding ring. And yet, when we urgently need a better GPSr ... :laughing::laughing:

Oooops correction. I forgot about THOSE rocks.... :laughing:

I once paid over $200 $4,500 for a 3 rocks and a buncha smaller rocks.

00861acc-3086-429b-852b-08a5e326ae4a.jpg

2b9967b6-27e5-44ab-968e-a507f169e4b4.jpg

Interesting topic!

I'm female, mid-40s. Ethnic background mixed - Mam is half Welsh (her father was born there) and half Scots descent; my father's of mostly German descent, but with an admixture of Dutch and Iroquois. Which makes me a Celtomutt, I think...

My S.O. is early 40's; he's also of very mixed ethnic background, mostly Sicilian/Italian, Spanish, and Delaware Blackfoot. And neither of us is Christian... IOW, we're pretty far from being "WASPs", although technically we count as "white".

He and I pretty much started caching at the same time - he found out about it, thought it sounded cool, ran out to buy a GPS, and called me on his cell from the store.. "Hey, are you online? Go check out geocaching.com!". Which I did, and immediately had the same reaction - "Wow, this sounds like fun!"

That weekend, we went out with his 13.5 y.o. son - we (all 3 of us, that is) had a great time, both in the caching itself and in the companionship. His son thought it was cool, and I was hooked - bought my own GPS that week.

We've since done solo caching - I tend to like hiking ones, and we live about 45 miles apart, so there's plenty of opportunity for it - and he's also gone out with just his daughter (also 13.5). She, too, thought it was really cool.

AND, I'm also one of those "caches with dogs" folks; one of the reasons I like hiking/park ones is that my companions-in-fur can accompany.

IOW, I'm a combo of single-with-dogs, couple, and family caching. :P