Waypoints

Before I had change to say anything the thread was closed. I wanted to bring up the subject of caches where the waypoint info is not in the description because people seem to think putting it inthe additional waypoints is good enough. No it isn't. The GPX file only includes the description. The additional waypoints are in the additional waypoint GPX file. Not everyone uses both, for various reasons. It seems to me that if you ask a question or set a puzzle in the description, it is only right that the oordinates are there also.

I wanted to bring up the subject of caches where the waypoint info is not in the description because people seem to think putting it inthe additional waypoints is good enough. No it isn't. The GPX file only includes the description.

This is a recent change. They used to be included in the description field of GCXXXX waypoints as a table. For reasons unknown (maybe because people insisted in repeating information in the waypoints and the description) it has been removed - see for example this thread. So it used to be "good enough" and frankly I am not going to go back and change my pages again just to see that Groundspeak decides to change their policy. I like the idea of having additional waypoints and will support it in the hope it will all get sorted eventually.

Sorry. I think it was my thread you referred to as being closed prematurely. I figured that as someone kindly pointed me in the direction of a recent thread that answered the original question, that it had been done to death. Is it better just to let a topic die naturally or do we support the euthanasia arguement? I thought I was being helpful so, like I say....sorry. ;)

Nothing personal was meant - I was just expressing my personal frustration at reading a thread which I had something relevant to and to but finding it closed when I went to post. It seems to be happening more and more these days. Personally I prefer the natural death approach to on topic threads because if there is nothign to say they wil lquickly drift out of view, but if there is, and they are closed, it is inconvinient and means a fresh thread needs ot be opened which adds to the number of threads in view. However, others may have a different view.