Pqs Contain A Virus?

fishiam

The last two PQs generated I was not able to download from my Yahoo mail account. The most recent one generated this message (from Norton AntiVirus which Yahoo uses to scan all email):

The file you attempted to download contains a virus and it cannot be cleaned!

642015.gpx (1462KB)

Yesterday and the day before I generated and download a few PQs just fine. Anyone else have this problem? If TPTB see this message perhaps they can check on the file for me? It was created under this name and I titled the PQ - BC (and the number is listed above).

I repeat that the Norton Antivirus is used by Yahoo email, it is not my copy of Norton.

peace

fishiam

ps - I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and now I'm worried about getting my PQs downloaded in time!

Are you having them Zipped before they're mailed? That will help.

Well, that would probably mask the virus if it has one ... I'm not sure I want to take a chance of getting one on my laptop. And the previous successful PQs were not zipped.

GPX files are plain text files. Experience from prior threads of this nature tells us that zipping the PQ will usually solve the problem. You are not "masking the virus" but rather zipping up the words in the text file that are triggering the virus filter. It can be something as simple as a travel bug in one of the caches near your home that has a name which is also the name of a computer virus. It wasn't in your area last week, but now that it is, it's messing with the pocket query.

Quoting from the bottom of the pocket query page:

Known issues:

Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) don't like *.loc or *.gpx files, and some email clients corrupt these files. It is recommended to zip them before sending.

It has been reported that occasionally these emailed files are tagged as viruses by antivirus software. Since the files do not execute they should not be capable of delivering viruses. Zipping the files normally solves this problem.

Did we mention you should probably zip your pocket queries?