Metal Detectors?

Team Gryarvold

Yes it can be a big help. Read the thread that is currently running on the sale on detectors.

It is very important to understand everything the data sheet can tell you before you start digging. There is hardly any place on the continent that does not have buried trash, so if you just go where your GPS takes you and use the metal detector then you will be very busy digging useless holes.

The NGS data sheet is more current and more complete than the one you get from the geocaching site.

To find benchmarks that have SCALED coordinates use the GPS as a driving aid to get to the right neighborhood. Then put it away and follow the description. If the description is confusing, sketch yourself a map. A tape and compass can be quite useful here. After you think you know where it was within a small margin then it is time to probe and use the metal detector.

For stations with ADJUSTED coordinates, then the GPS should take you within its indicated accuracy of the mark. Measurement from reference objects in the description is still more accurate.

Use caution in digging because it can cause an expensive ruckus if you sever a utility line. In most places if I dig at all, after checking for utility signs, I use a hand trowel so I'll stand less chance of doing damage.

Edited by Bill93

Thank you for answering that for me. I saw the Radio Shack post after I posted this one. Now I just have to tell my other half that we need one of those little do-hickies. It's a good thing that he has been wanting one for awhile.

You mentioned the NGS data sheets. When I searched for the data sheets for the 2 markers that we found, the search came back with nothing but a few words about not being able to pull up the data because either the vertical or horizontal measurments were not there. However I was able to see the sheets that were on the Geocaching site. Why is that. Am I searching in the wrong spot for the sheets?

I used the link in my earlier post, typed in on two lines

BX2968

BX3033

clicked on the buttons, and I got data sheets for both. Don't forget to select the ones you want or click "select all" when you get the list page.

There are also other search options at the NGS site, and you can edit the number on the end of this link to get other single sheets

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=mf0217