Google/yahoo Directions To Gps

So is there a way to download Google/Yahoo maps directions to my GPS as a route? Not talking about cacheing here, just driving directions to and from places. I have an eTrex Legend but I haven't ever gotten around to buying the Garmin map software yet cause I'm so cheap and Google is free.

If there's not, that would be a cool thing to do with Google API.

I haven't seen any sites which do this, but it would be very, very difficult to implement. The first problem would be that the underlying map data between the API and your handheld would need to be in sync. Some roads might not exist in an older dataset or have changed attributes. Also the Google Maps API (typically) uses Tele Atlas maps while your Garmin will use NAVTEQ maps.

So is there a way to download Google/Yahoo maps directions to my GPS as a route? Not talking about cacheing here, just driving directions to and from places. I have an eTrex Legend but I haven't ever gotten around to buying the Garmin map software yet cause I'm so cheap and Google is free.

In the Houston area, the GE images agree very well with the Garmin City Navigator V8 maps.

I have used Google Earth to create 'paths' and then hand edited the saved KML files to create GPX track files. Those can then be uploaded to my 60cx as Tracks. I can then use the Tracback feature to follow the track. Not exactly like autorouting, but still accomplishes the same goal.

I see what you mean about the map data not always matching up - on a twisty road the route would not follow the road.

But what I was wanting is just to make the turns into a series of waypoints. Like, when Google says, "Turn left here", that would be a waypoint. After I reach it, the GPS would then set to point at the next waypoint.

Basically, all I want is to do that and download it so I could install it with the usuall means. I don't want to look up each turn, translate it into Lat/Long, and enter it into the GPS by hand, I just want to automatically transform it and download it and install it.

The difference in map data shouldn't matter at that point, right? Or am I overlooking something?

In the Houston area, the GE images agree very well with the Garmin City Navigator V8 maps.

I have used Google Earth to create 'paths' and then hand edited the saved KML files to create GPX track files. Those can then be uploaded to my 60cx as Tracks. I can then use the Tracback feature to follow the track. Not exactly like autorouting, but still accomplishes the same goal.

Huh, this sounds alot like what I want to do, I just don't want to do it by hand :lol:

I'll look into this though. Thanks.

Huh, this sounds alot like what I want to do, I just don't want to do it by hand :lol:

GPSBable is supposed to be able to convert KML files to GPX track files.

GPSBable is supposed to be able to convert KML files to GPX track files.

Thank you! I will go check this out.

Edited by Nishnabotna

I think what the difference would be is that it might not be exactly clear which direction to turn at each waypoint (unless you had the printed directions).

for example, if your streets are not in a grid, or if your next move is a very long stretch of windy road, what your GPS would do without a map should be to point you to the next intersection as the crow flies (this is like my old etrex did without routing). If that happens to co-incide correctly with the direction you need to turn at the intersection, then you are good.

however if because of the above factors, the next waypoint as the crow flies, for example, is due north of you, you might not know, do I turn left or right here. usually you might be ok, but it makes it a little harder to follow.

if you could force small intervals between waypoints or a max distance, that would make it easier to follow the route.

I know this post is somewhat in theory (e.g. I have not done this), it's based on downloading of routed directions to my old extrex, which could not route, so the map was basically a picture, only with 'track on road' so it would stick me on a road, not next to it.

Understood, but actually I wanted to use this for hiway travel as I dislike having to look at the map when I'm driving. I would think that usually the exits would be pretty hard to confuse like that. More of an aid than something I'd trust to get me somewhere 100% without a map.

I suppose I'll eventually have to get a more navigation oriented GPS/software but for now this is fun to play with.

How do you "hand edit" the KML files? I've tried converting them in GPSBable but I always get "Truncated Track" error message when I upload them to my Legend cx. Only a portion of the track shows up on the GPSr.

Scott

How do you "hand edit" the KML files? I've tried converting them in GPSBable but I always get "Truncated Track" error message when I upload them to my Legend cx. Only a portion of the track shows up on the GPSr.

Scott

I cut-n-paste the trackpoints out of the KML file into a skeleton GPX file using a text editor (Kedit).

Understood, but actually I wanted to use this for hiway travel as I dislike having to look at the map when I'm driving. I would think that usually the exits would be pretty hard to confuse like that. More of an aid than something I'd trust to get me somewhere 100% without a map.

I suppose I'll eventually have to get a more navigation oriented GPS/software but for now this is fun to play with.

yup, done that too... should work ... one tip is to edit the waypoint names if you want.. e.g. when I would do route calculation in mapsource and load the route to my etrex, the waypoints didn't get sensible names (older version of s/w)..one thing that would have made that easier is to rename the waypoints to things like "exit 12" etc. so you can quickly see the right thing to do when you glance at the gps...

one other thing you might want to look into if you have a laptop is using your GPS receiver as just that, a receiver, and then running a laptop progam like garmin nroute (which I think you can download for free from garmin's site) to help w/ the navigation ... without a base map, I'm not sure what it will do, but it's got a pretty good 'control panel' set of screens, which might be more usable if you can find someplace to rest the laptop and not distract yourself too much from watching the road