Point Of Interest And Mapopolis

Alan2

No, I haven't. What type of POIs are you looking for? For adding restaurants and the such to Mapopolis, I use this site:

http://www.poi2go.com/poi2go/

It allows a variety of POI searches and allows you to output the results to .gpx or a few other formats. I forget exactly how I optimized these files for Mapopolis since I haven't run any searches in a while, but I seem to recall having problems using GSAK. If I recall correctly, I used EasyGPS to alter the maplet information the way I wanted. You know, just like how you alter the pocket queries in GSAK so the maplets make more sense before importing them into Mapopolis.

You can search on terms like pizza, restaurant, chinese, best buy, etc. Don't ask me how, but POI2GO interfaces with Google's maps somehow and my experience has been that it finds pretty much what you are looking for, is comprehensive, and places the POIs in the correct location.

You have to play with the search engine, though, to see they types of output and how your search terms are being treated by the search engine. My searches often have, say, 150 relevant results at the beginning and then 10 results at the end that aren't related to my search at all (Maybe 150 pizza places and 10 auto repair shops -- something with Google's advertising or search). I have to delete the 10 results before the import.

If this is not your purpose for importing POIs into Mapopolis, then please accept my apology for a long, irrelevant post!