Caching And Kodak Moments.

Olar

We've all been on numerous cache hunts/hikes where Kodak moments have presented themselves but for whatever reason we didn't get the pic and have been kicking ourselves ever since for missing it and not going back with a camera.

How about listing in this thread the names of those caches that you would really like to return to armed with gobs of photography gear and what the subject/scene is that you long for.

I'll start it off by choosing "Talon Chutes" (GC17EF). I would have loved to get a photo of approaching the falls via the river below in a canoe.

What say you all?

Cheers, Olar

We've all been on numerous cache hunts/hikes where Kodak moments have presented themselves but for whatever reason we didn't get the pic and have been kicking ourselves ever since for missing it and not going back with a camera.

How about listing in this thread the names of those caches that you would really like to return to armed with gobs of photography gear and what the subject/scene is that you long for.

I'll start it off by choosing "Talon Chutes" (GC17EF). I would have loved to get a photo of approaching the falls via the river below in a canoe.

What say you all?

Cheers, Olar

The GHMCMC final had me kicking myself for not having the camera, but fortunately I had to come back - this time armed to the teeth with photography gear. I find most of the time I'm carrying a DSLR c/w tripod out caching these days - most of the good photo spots in this area have tupperware nearby it seems!

Northern Penguin:

You actually have times that you don't have your camera with you???

From the pictures I've seen from you, I find that difficult to imagine.

I've been trying to think of places, and it keeps coming back to wanting to return to get MORE, not ones I missed.

B) The Blue Quasar

Actually, BQ the times I have my camera are now far and few between. I learned my lesson early about geocaching and photography. Always bring a camera. Nowadays I carry two digital cameras. My 'good' one and my 'geocaching beater-upper' camera. Every single time I leave home without a camera, an excellent photography subject presents itself.

The geocaching beater-upper got that name from the dents on the side of it. It's been involved in stopping me from falling on a couple occasions. The more famous story with that one occurred when I was holding onto the trees on a hillside near one of the Micro-Mania caches. Got about halfway to the cache and discovered those hawthorn trees weren't anchored as well as I thought. Ever done cartwheels down a hillside while holding onto a hawthorne tree? Nice big dent on the camera from that one. So when I'm doing a terrain 4 or higher, the SLR stays where it's safe and the Pentax comes out to risk life and limb for that special shot. Worst case I've got the camera on my cell phone, but frankly I'd rather sketch it with a toothpick into shale before using the camera phone.

The other part of the photography on the trails equation is timing. I'm fortunate that I go night caching, which not only gives me access to the cityscape shots from the escarpment at night but also the time just before and just after sunset -- the so called "magic hours" of photography. Being on the trail at that time also brings out the critters/wildlife which can make for some interesting shots. I've also got a few locations that are marked to return to at other times of the year --- fall colours in Belfountain for example, or spring thaw at Ball's Falls.

One of the better series of caches for photography is the Falls Tour for all the waterfalls. A lot of these ones are simply fantastic during the autumn -- which is coming up soon but alas most of these caches got archived.

Oh, and carry a tripod. Always carry a tripod - Optex has a nice little bendy one for about $5 at Blacks that will hold a point and shoot camera steady and it fits nicely in your pocket. The woods are not the best lighting to take a handheld picture in.