Magellan Geocache Mgr Or Not?

If there was nothing else available, Geocache Manager might be worth using... however, this *is* something else available.

As a premium member, you can take advantage of Pocket Queries, and it's consensus that the best way to manage Pocket Queries is with GSAK. GSAK offers nearly countless functions for sorting and filtering your caches, and will export those caches to your Explorist in the proper format, just like Geocache Manager.

It's not free, but well worth the $20.

Jamie

If there was nothing else available, Geocache Manager might be worth using... however, this *is* something else available.

As a premium member, you can take advantage of Pocket Queries, and it's consensus that the best way to manage Pocket Queries is with GSAK. GSAK offers nearly countless functions for sorting and filtering your caches, and will export those caches to your Explorist in the proper format, just like Geocache Manager.

It's not free, but well worth the $20.

Jamie

OK. Looks like I will be downloading GSAK tonight. Now my question is can I just delete the waypoint file with all my geocaches in it, from the memory card and just start over again using GSAK? I have already done several pocket queries so I got that figured out.

If you are asking about whether to enter caches as regular POIs or geocache POIs, some people do one and some the other. I like to use the geocache POIs mostly because it separates them out from my other POIs...I can choose to toggle geocaches on or off in the display (and the same goes for the regular POIs). So one set need not interfere with the other.

As far as the extra information contained by the geoache POI...eh. It's sometimes nice to pull up from the GPS, but it's really descriptions and hints that are needed to go paperless. Descriptions are left out, and hints are limited to the first 50 characters. I still need a PDA for the other information.

SOme people prefer to put their caches into regular POI files because they can have more than 200 per file and they can edit or delete them in the field.

So I would say try geocache POIs and see if you like it or not. You can rationally decide to go either way.

I use both, haven't decided yet. GSAK lets me filter and load the results directly to the GPSr (210). When I load them with Magellen's geocache manager the id gets preserved, and with GSAK it is gone. That may be a setting in GSAK I haven't explored yet though. The ID makes it easy to find the page to log it on, although nearby queries also work well...

When using GSAK, which you should, use the eXplorist format. Be sure to name your file with the .gs extension.

For ID, use: %code

For the Geocache Name, use: %smart=18 %con1

(there is one space between the 8 and %)

This is thanks to Jamie Z. It gives you a long name and a one-letter cache container size, such as S for small, R for Regular, M for micro. Now you have all of the main cache attributes.

When using GSAK, which you should, use the eXplorist format. Be sure to name your file with the .gs extension.

Well, nothing would work without that, so yes, I'm doing that...

This is thanks to Jamie Z. It gives you a long name and a one-letter cache container size, such as S for small, R for Regular, M for micro. Now you have all of the main cache attributes.

cool, I will look for that config screen. That would make GSAK more usable... Thanks for the tip.

Where in GSAK do I make those changes?

Edited by Team Shadowbox