Gpsdash 2

I just registered GPSDash2 since it only gives you a -very- short (100k of active data) window of opportunity to test and evaluate it.

I've also been comparing Cachemate and Beeline, so my M3 is getting quite a workout... anyway, for the life of me I can not find any way to directly import .gpx files into GPSDash. Interestingly, the web site refers to this ability but the documentation has no mention of .gpx at all.

It will import .loc files, but it's kind of a hassle to have to keep converting files every time I reload the device! I'm spending enough time already building custom maps from Google Earth on this application. (which is kind of neat, and along with the nice compass is the main benefits I see with this program. I don't know in the long term if those alone will outweigh the negatives I've found so far with GPSDash.

Any thoughts on this? Did I waste 23 euros ($30) on this?

:laughing:

Well, I've answered my own question by now...

GPSdash just simply will not work consistently with my Garmin iQue M3. It constantly and inevitably crashes

I was so hopeful because of the advanced custom mapping capabilities, the attractive gauge displays, etc... but this is just not worth the trouble if it keeps crapping out right when you need it most.

The worst thing about it, you ask? The developer refuses to offer even a partial refund, preferring to just keep troubleshooting this application and saying it "can't be the program's fault - it must be something else"

So... to make a long story short: It's a POS and I'm out $30 that I could have spent on Beeline instead!

I just have to post a comment on Gpsdash2. It definitely is NOT a POS. It could be a compatibility issue with your garmin. I have been using it for many years now, currently running 2.58. I have an HP Ipaq travel companion with tomtom. I can use gpsdash at the same time as tomtom.

I find it's an excellent tool for geocaching, especially when you overlay google earth sat images, so you can get an idea where the paths/trail heads and terrain looks like. You can import a map up to 10,000x10,000 pixels. I have been geocaching for just over a year with it and found about 99% of the caches (some are hidden very well) using gpsdash2. I have yet to try a garmin or other handheld gps unit while geocaching :huh:

I use easygps on my pc to manage my waypoints. easygps is free. it opens loc and gpx files, and it saves it in gpx format which is compatible with gpsdash2. With the newer easygps software, you'll have to move the geocache entries into the waypoints section. In the comments section, I'll usually add relevant information about the cache to help make the find easier.

I have used it in north america and europe (I was very comfortable in a foreign country that I never been to, not worrying about street names as I could not pronounce most of them, and never got lost!)

A great feature of gpsdash2 is you can instantly sort all the waypoints by distance, so you know which is the next closest cache to hit, and wether or not you have found it.

The only complaint I have with v2.58 of gpsdash2 is the application will crash when you have the compass up on the screen and you are percisely at GZ, when you are at 0m away from the cache/waypoint. Sounds like a divide by 0 bug :)

stealth