Garmin City Navigator Nt - North America

TJPJ

I see that City Navigator NT North America is available on preprogrammed microSD card (010-10679-50) for a list of $299. Presume this is v. 8 but not sure from the Garmin site (their demo shows v.7, but the descriptor shows v.8).

1. Has anyone tried it and what is your experience?

2. Compare the microSD version vs. DVD. Presume one would have to download waypoints from a pocket query via GSAK if the mapping was on microSD or input waypoints by hand.

3. Will the microSD be upgradable for future versions of Navigator.

4. How is the microSD loaded? Just drop it in and go??

Any comments would be helpful in deciding which to purchase.

I see that City Navigator NT North America is available on preprogrammed microSD card (010-10679-50) for a list of $299. Presume this is v. 8 but not sure from the Garmin site (their demo shows v.7, but the descriptor shows v.8).

2. Compare the microSD version vs. DVD. Presume one would have to download waypoints from a pocket query via GSAK if the mapping was on microSD or input waypoints by hand.

I emailed Garmin on Tuesday that very question regarding my i5. They have informed me that the NT version 8 DVD will be made available the first week in Aug. If you prefer the sd card you may purchase it, or can wait for the DVD. The SD card in your unit and it just reads it like a hd, however the dvd version will copy itself over your v7 map data. Your waypoints, faves etc will be ok. My buddy used the Europe NT DVD for his and it just copies over the original data.

I emailed Garmin on Tuesday that very question regarding my i5. They have informed me that the NT version 8 DVD will be made available the first week in Aug. If you prefer the sd card you may purchase it, or can wait for the DVD. The SD card in your unit and it just reads it like a hd, however the dvd version will copy itself over your v7 map data. Your waypoints, faves etc will be ok. My buddy used the Europe NT DVD for his and it just copies over the original data.

Received my v8 DVD last Wednesday (6/30/06). Purchased from gpsnow.com. The DVD had a valid unlock coupon and successfully installed on my PC/60csx first try.

I don't know why the Garmin web site does not know that the software is already on the street.

I assume you are talking about the regular version 8. He and I were talking about the NT version. It's the same as the usual v8 but compressed to fit onto a device like the streetpilots and the like. These units have pre-loaded maps. It's a full map, not just little bits that you need. No, again, confirmed with Garmin Navteq and several gps sites selling mapsource. v8NT Will NOT be available until Aug. Even GPSnow.com emailed me and told me the same thing. I got my v8 for my gps18 today, NT version on hold till aug.

Edited by penguin44

I assume you are talking about the regular version 8. He and I were talking about the NT version. It's the same as the usual v8 but compressed to fit onto a device like the streetpilots and the like. These units have pre-loaded maps. It's a full map, not just little bits that you need. No, again, confirmed with Garmin Navteq and several gps sites selling mapsource. v8NT Will NOT be available until Aug. Even GPSnow.com emailed me and told me the same thing. I got my v8 for my gps18 today, NT version on hold till aug.

NT version. When I spoke with gps.now earlier today I was told it was in stock and to look under the GPSMAP 60CSx accessories. It is listed as "in stock". You probably got a response after I say the listing or spoke to a different person. Thanks for the info.

TJPJ

Yeah just checked the site and called as well. It appears we were both mis-informed. NT v8 is indeed available but only on sd cards at the moment. The DVD version will be release in Aug. This seems to be what Garmin was telling me as well the other day. If you want to buy it for 300 buck now you can or spend 145 or so on the NT DVD version in 4 weeks.