Tomtom Go Upgrade

For owners of older TTGs, the version 6 upgrade is now released.

At last, you can now directly enter cache coordinates as POIs (and in our favourite format).

Unlike earlier upgrades, you first need to install the TTG Home application to get this one.

Any news on a version 6 for PDA?

They plan to release it, but it could be some while. PDA software amounts to a fraction of TT's turnover and so it gets low priority (2005 Q4 revenue from TT devices = €269m other income including PDA software and accessories =€26m). Also, they are having so many problems with the new TTx10s that I gues PDAs are falling even further down the priority list.

You can download it from here -

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...39B2203389393DA

You ned to extract it to your TomTom Home Downloads Folder and ensure the .toc file points towards that folder. TomTom Home wil lthen find it and offer to install it.

It seems to work fine on my ONE. The new features such as Navigate to Coordinates is very helpful. I have no idea why TT keep withdrawing this although many users complain of their device not booting after the upgrade. Use at your own risk, and only after a full backup of all files, including hidden ones, on your SD card.

Other hints, remove al lmods you may have such as third party applications. I removed all before upgrading, including splash screens and custom menus and had no problems.

Just upgraded my TomTom ONE, and will have to wait see if the subtle UI changes will confuse my wife :-)

I did notice on the old version, the tomtom would sometimes reboot when doing a traffic update - I wonder if that's fixed in this version.

Thanks,

S

You can download it from here -

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...39B2203389393DA

You ned to extract it to your TomTom Home Downloads Folder and ensure the .toc file points towards that folder. TomTom Home wil lthen find it and offer to install it.

It seems to work fine on my ONE. The new features such as Navigate to Coordinates is very helpful. I have no idea why TT keep withdrawing this although many users complain of their device not booting after the upgrade. Use at your own risk, and only after a full backup of all files, including hidden ones, on your SD card.

Other hints, remove al lmods you may have such as third party applications. I removed all before upgrading, including splash screens and custom menus and had no problems.

I tried to do the update using this method this morning 3:30am but all it did was wipe my SD card.

Message on PC read something about a install cab or dll file being missing...... :unsure:

I was looking forward to the improvements.... :rolleyes:

If you got that message it probably means you did not alter the toc file so it pointed to the folder where you extracted the files to.

BTW, in other forums where this is being discussed it appears that the speed and/or brand od SD card is relevant to whether the upgrade works. Larger and faster cards seem to be necessary. People using their original TT memory card to run the upgrade seem to be having many of the problems.

Edited by Learned Gerbil

Don't TT make it so complicated to make upgrades!

Having screwed up once I am so unwilling to try anything through their upgrade site. I think I will wait a year or so and buy a new unit. Sure they will cost a lot less than the £350+ I paid for my Go300 last year! (and get new maps) :rolleyes:

If you got that message it probably means you did not alter the toc file so it pointed to the folder where you extracted the files to.

Oppssss silly me I didn't even read that bit. :anicute:

I think I should learn to read all the question before writing my comments...

Sorry most Learned Gerbil :grin:

To be fair to TT they now use the TT Home application to do all upgrades to their own devices. However, as the upgrade was pulled TT Home can't help you if you want to try out the new version. The file I mentioned above is taken from someones backup folders which TT Home creates when you use TT Home to do a backup. The toc file refers to the location of the files on the originator's machine which is why you need to edit it.

I used it when cacheing today and found it worked fine. Some have complained of reduced frame rate but I did not see any delays in writing my position etc.

The only problem I encountered was tha tdespite it showing al lmy speed camera warnings etc being carried over from the previous version, they did not work and I had to input them all again.

Responses on other forums seem to have established wha tthe problem is that have lead to TT withdrawing 6.11.

It appears very sensative to SD card speed. x50 and faster cards seem to work fine, but slower cards don't work. TT's problem is the cards they sell maps on, and supply with new units are slow cards so only people who have copied their maps to other cards can use the upgrade without it stopping their TT working. It is amazing TT didn't find out it was incompatable with their own cards before they released it!

Edited by Learned Gerbil

Responses on other forums seem to have established wha tthe problem is that have lead to TT withdrawing 6.11.

It appears very sensative to SD card speed. x50 and faster cards seem to work fine, but slower cards don't work. TT's problem is the cards they sell maps on, and supply with new units are slow cards so only people who have copied their maps to other cards can use the upgrade without it stopping their TT working. It is amazing TT didn't find out it was incompatable with their own cards before they released it!

I am using the new version with no problems at all, I have not purchased a new SD card and have the original supplied by TT. :lol::P:laughing:

TT 6.14 for non x10 series Go's, Riders and ONE with direct coordinate input was released yesterday. You need to connect your device to your computer using the Home software from the TT website to download the free update.

It worked fine for me, but always make a full backup, and remove any applications and extensions you have moded your TT before the upgrade.