Explorist Xl Cigarette Adapter

Where can I find the 12v adapter for my Explorist XL? I've tried Amazon, Radio Shack, Walmart, Big Five, Ebay and the Magellan store. All of the above retailers are directly from the Magellan dealer locator. When I tried to buy it directly from Magellan, it won't let me add it to the cart...indicating that they don't have it either. What gives?

Shoot Magellan an email telling them their cart is broken. If the item is on backorder, it will show up in the cart anyhow. Try ordering the car mount and you will see. For whatever reason it allows you to add the cig adapter to the cart, but won't show up on check out.

Shoot Magellan an email telling them their cart is broken. If the item is on backorder, it will show up in the cart anyhow. Try ordering the car mount and you will see. For whatever reason it allows you to add the cig adapter to the cart, but won't show up on check out.

I think that Magellan doesn't have them available. I had no problems buying the case or the swivel adapter, but it wouldn't let me add the cigarette lighter adapter to the cart. After checking several (all) of the authorized venders and ebay, I've noticed that nobody has them for sale. You can buy all the other accessories, but not the 12v adapter. I couldn't get ahold of customer support by phone, but I did shoot them an email...who knows how long that will take to get back.

Anybody out there no what the input voltage is supposed to be for the Magellan XL? It appears the 12v adapter plugs into a power port at the end of the stock USB cable.

Anybody out there no what the input voltage is supposed to be for the Magellan XL? It appears the 12v adapter plugs into a power port at the end of the stock USB cable.

It took forever and a day for them to come out with the adapter for the 4/5/600.

I don't know anything about the XL power needs, but someone discovered that a PSP adapter worked just fine for the 4/5/600. It was the right size and voltage to plug into the middle of the USB cable, as a substitute for the external wall wart that came with our models. So we were able to buy these $8 adapters at Walmart.

Again, I don't know if the same thing would work for the XL (and I suspect not), but doing some homework on this would probably be worthwhile.

One alternative you have is to purchase a power inverter. We were looking for a 12v cig lighter cord for our portable DVD player a few years back and no one had them. A friendly store rep mentioned that for the same price you pick up a small inverter and use the standard plug. Well after stepping back and scratching our heads about "why didn't WE think of that" :D we got one. Same price as the cig adapter, and now I run the DVD, or charge my cell phone, and I plan to use it for my explorist in 2 weeks for our holiday road trip. It can run all your 12v needs, not just one product at a time. :D

One alternative you have is to purchase a power inverter. We were looking for a 12v cig lighter cord for our portable DVD player a few years back and no one had them. A friendly store rep mentioned that for the same price you pick up a small inverter and use the standard plug. Well after stepping back and scratching our heads about "why didn't WE think of that" :drama: we got one. Same price as the cig adapter, and now I run the DVD, or charge my cell phone, and I plan to use it for my explorist in 2 weeks for our holiday road trip. It can run all your 12v needs, not just one product at a time. :lol:

I wish that was an option, but the unit doesn't come with an A/C cord for a wall outlet, nor are there any provisions to accommodate one.

edelsite,

Sorry I just assumed it would be the same power system as my 400. I have a wall plug that "Y's" with the USB connection for the unit. I can power up alone, or plug in power and do my uploads with the USB. Is your cord USB only where the USB is not only your upload function but your power supply as well? I know you can draw power from a mouse(PS2 conn or something like that), I did not know the USB supplied power also. Weird they would have multiple systems for GPSr's within the same family.

It appears that you can power the XL through a USB port. If that is the case, then 5V DC is what you want. Also, the car cord appears to be identical to the ones for the 400, 500 and 600. An alternative that I use for my 500 is the Dell Axim X5 cord which has the correct plug, polarity and voltage.

You might also want to get the USB cig plug adapter, and USB AC power adapter. These have the USB port and give 5V DC. Just plug your USB cord into one of these.