Permission Advice

Hi all. A few days ago I emailed the Department of Public Works in a nearby town for permission to place a geocache on a bridge closed to wheeled vehicles but open to teh public for fishing, viewing or whatever. How long should I wait before contacting them again?

I ask because I dunno much about how DPWs operate. Recreation or conservation commissions are different, since they are used to hearing about stuff like hiking and geocaching and whatnot, but DPWs? I dunno. Is this something I should make a face to face visit for?

Kinda funny, but the DPW HQ happens to be right in front of a rail trail head. :)

If you've got time to go in person that's likely gonna work. As you say, DPW likely has never heard of geocaching. I ended up talking to some very nice ladies in the county Public Health Dept. about geocaching (a cemetery cache - turns out the cemetery is for indigents and is managed by the Health Dept. ) I don't think an email would have gotten a response. Everybody is just gonna go What? and ignore you.

(They were willing to let me place a micro in the parking area, but I realized I could get an ammo can in just down the road - used the interesting oldest 18th century marker for an off-set multi. )

If you've got time to go in person that's likely gonna work. As you say, DPW likely has never heard of geocaching. I ended up talking to some very nice ladies in the county Public Health Dept. about geocaching (a cemetery cache - turns out the cemetery is for indigents and is managed by the Health Dept. ) I don't think an email would have gotten a response. Everybody is just gonna go What? and ignore you.

(They were willing to let me place a micro in the parking area, but I realized I could get an ammo can in just down the road - used the interesting oldest 18th century marker for an off-set multi. )

Should I give it a week or two, or just go down ASAP, since I've sent the email?

I'd say allow a (business day or two) for the mail to be delivered & read. Then make a personal appearance with some of the Geocaching literature and the actual cache container you wish to place. Salesmanship is the key.. Present yourself with knowledge, confidence & enthusiasm. Have CITO materials!!! DPW will like this concept.

Best luck & let us know how it goes..

JW

Hi all. A few days ago I emailed the Department of Public Works in a nearby town for permission to place a geocache on a bridge closed to wheeled vehicles but open to teh public for fishing, viewing or whatever. How long should I wait before contacting them again?

I ask because I dunno much about how DPWs operate. Recreation or conservation commissions are different, since they are used to hearing about stuff like hiking and geocaching and whatnot, but DPWs? I dunno. Is this something I should make a face to face visit for?

Kinda funny, but the DPW HQ happens to be right in front of a rail trail head. :wub:

Phone call and then a face to face works for me every time, and have never been turned down, it is not as hard as it seems to do the right thing in asking for permission for cache placement

My hat is off to you.

Joe