Gps For My Pda?

I currently have a Zire 72, PalmOne based PDA. I already have a bike mount for it, so a GPS for it would make the most sense. I already use Mappolise (sp?) and TomTom for the maps when I go traveling. Adding a GPS should be no big deal. What GPS would work, and is the best to use with my PDA?

I currently have a Zire 72, PalmOne based PDA. I already have a bike mount for it, so a GPS for it would make the most sense. I already use Mappolise (sp?) and TomTom for the maps when I go traveling. Adding a GPS should be no big deal. What GPS would work, and is the best to use with my PDA?

Bummer! If you had a Windows Mobile PDA, I'd sell you my Garmin cf Que 1620 module. It's for sale. :wub:

Well, I'm also a Pocket PC user, which is why I didn't make any specific recommendations earlier.

I'd suggest looking at www.buygpsnow.com as they are a very good company that I've done business with in the past. You're kinda on your own after that, though, because I don't know what your PDA will support. I note that there is some discussion about whether certain receivers are compatible with the Palm, but I don't know enough about the Palm to offer you much more.

In Pocket PC forums I've read, the GlobalSat BT-338 is a very popular and apparently reliable receiver. I haven't read many bad things about any of the receivers, however. I use a Haicom HI-303III compact flash with the bluetooth slipper adapter. I wouldn't recommend my setup to you because you can't otherwise use the compact flash GPS, and it is bulkier than the others. No sense in the added bulk if not necessary.

I would recommend getting one with the Sirf III chip, however, and there are many of those. All the good things you read about this chip in these forums is correct -- a lightning fast acquisition and excellent ability to hold a satellite lock.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I've decided I will continue to use my pda for paperless hunts but not for gps tracking.

I'm currently doing research on the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

Thanks for the reply :unsure:

Sailor J.

Well, you're welcome, but I actually intended my response for the OP. I agree with you 100 percent on using a separate, rugged handheld although I continue to frequently use the bluetooth GPS for on-road.

Since the OP said that he/she already had the PDA hardware and mapping software, it wouldn't be a stretch to add a GPS to the system. It would, however, be a good idea to provide some sort of increased protection for the setup or at least make provisions to have a backpack and/or waterproof bag or something to put everything into if it starts to rain.