Posting Coordinates

I am looking into posting some waypoints sometime soon here. I'd like to know where we should be taking the coordinates from.

It would be easy to get coordinates from something as simple as a sign or historical marker that is small - you walk up to it, get the coords, and record them. Take a picture, post to the website...wallah!

If you're talking about something like a McDonalds - that gets a little more hairy. Or maybe a large building? Or anything where it isn't at one specific point, or you may not even be able to get up to it because of private property, etc.

So I guess the general question here is: If you can't get a set of point coordinates where something is located, where should you get the coordinates from? Best access? Front door? Closest you can get?

Most categories include instructions for marking coordinates to combat the confusion you are having. Check the "more detail" link next to the category name to review the waymark placement instructions.

For instance, the McDonald's category says:

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

1. Please mark the coordinates at one of the entrances to the McDonald's. If the McDonald's is inside a mall, please mark the mall entrance closest to the restaurant.

Most categories include instructions for marking coordinates to combat the confusion you are having. Check the "more detail" link next to the category name to review the waymark placement instructions.

For instance, the McDonald's category says:

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

1. Please mark the coordinates at one of the entrances to the McDonald's. If the McDonald's is inside a mall, please mark the mall entrance closest to the restaurant.

Ok - thank you very much!

I am looking into posting some waypoints sometime soon here. I'd like to know where we should be taking the coordinates from.

So I guess the general question here is: If you can't get a set of point coordinates where something is located, where should you get the coordinates from? Best access? Front door? Closest you can get?

Depends on the category. As stated, most categories include this information in the instructions, or they should. If you are in doubt, send a message to the group leader for that category. At very least, mention in your description where you took the coords.