Autorouting Settings On Garmin 60csx

As I'm using my Garmin 60CSX mostly on my road bike I'm wondering about the following Autrouting settings that I've tried with City Navigator v8 Europe.

What is the consequence of setting "avoid highways" when I've already selected "Bicycle". I assume the GPS would not guide me onto a highway anyway as I'm routing for a bike. But in fact when I try the two settings (with and without avoid highway) on an itinerary with two waypoints I am not getting the same routing.

With "avoid highway" ON I'm getting a distance of 37km.

With "avoid highway" OFF I'm getting a distance of 26km.

Both of them are avoiding the highway.

So what's the logic behind it? In the manual nothing is explained about the combinations of settings possible.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by thomaha

Setting the vehicle type to Bicycle will make the routing avoid limited access (i.e. freeway-type) highways - unfortunately even where such roads allow bicycle access.

But that still lets the routing use other types of highways and these will frequently give the most direct routes. Setting the 'Avoid Highways' option makes the routing look for rural roads and residential streets instead and will generally be less direct.

I guess I'd check the road types in the different routing choices. What's being included/excluded? Perhaps avoid highways includes not crossing them.

I'm crossing the highway also when avoid highways is on. I checked the map again. I see that "avoid highway" option suggests me to take a road classified as "departemental road" as opposed to "national road" (for France). The national road is usually bigger even if it's not really the case in this example.

So if this is correct the "avoid highway" option seems to have a preference for smaller roads (it's not just about avoiding the highway). To be verified...