Pocket Query Question

I had a pocket query set to return less than 500 caches (480) within a radius of a set of coordinates. Over the last few weeks the number of caches within that radius has increased to more than 500 so now some caches are being excluded.

Which caches are now excluded from this PQ - those at the fringes of the radius set in the PQ; or are they excluded alphabetically; or by age of listing; or are they randomly selected for exclusion.

I would like to know if it is best to:

A. adjust this PQ radius (smaller) and add another intersecting PQ with a locus and radius that intersect the first PQ or

B. create two PQs - each one selecting caches with different parameters (e.g., PQ1=Traditional and then PQ2=Everthing Else)?

Thanks in advance.

Think the PQ's run on distance. so as your PQ exceeds 500, it drops the ones farthest from the start point off the list. Your file choice and PQ would really depend on what you are looking for in your caching. If you want every cache within x miles, then I would set up separate filtered PQ's based on the same point, but different search criteria (size, traditional only, mystery, exclude archived, etc). I usually try to capture the maximum number within a certain distance. If I get too many (500+), I will reduce the search radius and build a second PQ nearby and allow some overlap. Good luck - I'm sure a 40 lb. brain will be along shortly to point out the idiocy of my post.

If your PQ is set to a radius from a point or cache, the farthest ones will drop. Jeremy indicated that a PQ based on a state will have different results.

The best way is to parse it by date placed.

Start with your radius query and use the first date as 1/1/2000 (or whatever the earliest one is), and the last date in the range as something like last month. Submit the query, and then run it from the search page - test to see if it is less than 500. If it's about 490, you're good.

Then use the "copy query" function to create another query, but this time use the day after the last day as your start day (if the last query ended April 14 '06, start this one on April 15 '06).

In this way, you still get your radius, and the queries will each pull back unique sets of data.

Edited by Markwell