Metro Guide Vs. City Select?

Can someone tell me the differences between Garmin's City Select and Metro Guide software? Even after reading the Garmin info, I don't know the difference. They basically describe Metro Guide as having similar data and POIs as City Select -- and then they go on to talk about auto-routing. But, City Select has auto-routing too, right? So, what's the difference between these products?

Thanks!

- John...

The key difference is that City Select is what's supported on the Garmin Color GPSs when it comes to autorouting.

Beyond that Metroguide doesn't have the same digital lock down that City Select has.

After that I don't know the differences.

But you've summed it up just right.

As long as you stay with Garmin's Mapsource software, to load maps into your unit, City Select and City Navigator are the only products that allow autorouting to be done in the GPS itself. MetroGuide will do autorouting, but only on the PC.

This is 100% true in Europe, although in North America the picture is a bit more complex, since some old versions of MetroGuide did indeed provide autorouting in the GPS too. That was due to City Navigator having very bad rural coverage back then.

On the other hand, MetroGuide doesn't require that you obtain an individual code for each GPS you own.

By using SendMap, and various tricks, you can load the MetroGuide maps with autorouting data into the GPS. More complicated, but possible.

In Europe, there's no difference at all in the map images between MetroGuide, City Select and City Navigator, provided they have the same version number. Today, the same goes for North America (as far as I know), but it was different in the past.

In Europe, there's no difference at all in the map images between MetroGuide, City Select and City Navigator, provided they have the same version number. Today, the same goes for North America (as far as I know), but it was different in the past.

City Select in Europe is obsolete and the latest version is 7

City Navigator (current version is 8) that replaces CS has much

bigger map segment and therefore is not suitably on GPS with small

amount of memory.

I would recommend at least 56MB memory to use CN

I guess this is going to be the same situation in US when

CN v8 comes out soon.

So which of these would be best to use for driving (with sidestreets and highways, POI, etc), caching and with My Legend C? Will it matter if I use a used version--meaning--will I have to get some kind of special code to upload basemaps or routes? Thanks for any clarification. I have no preference as of yet whether or not it can autoroute on the GPS--I usually know where to turn! :P But, from what the "compatability guide" on garmin.com tells me, Metroguide is not supported on a Legend C (??)

I want to upgrade the basemaps on my GPS and certainly improve the level of detail to include local backroads/streets and not just the highways, etc.

Thanks!

-NS

Edited by NeverSummer

But, from what the "compatability guide" on garmin.com tells me, Metroguide is not supported on a Legend C (??)

Not all combination is listed at Garmin. Like City Navigator NT maps do work on a 60CSx but its not listed.

POI support was not listed either for 60CSx, but its support for it now.

I would go for the Auto Route Map, if you have the money.

When you drive in a foreign city, its very nice to get the advice that you should hold right on the highway and take the next exit to the right after 1 mile.

So if I understand correctly, either will work on my Legend C, right? Any insight if I will need any special codes if getting a used version from someone? Will it boot up just fine and let me upload to th GPSr?

Thanks for helping!

MetroGuide, CitySlect, CityNavigator,Bluechart and Topo Maps will all work on Legend C

BlueChart G2 and CityNavigator NT will not work.