Local Cb Channel For Geocachers?

Is there a channel on a CB that local geocachers can talk on? I have a base station and mobile and i am located in central PA. I would like to talk to other Geocachers that are in my area over the CB if they have them.

Thanks

Dane

I remember reading something about Nextel phones having a channel but nothing about CBs or other handheld radios. I have never used Nextel so I don't know if they are on the same frequency as CBs. I'll be watching this thread as I am also interested.

edit: Just read the FAQ. The radios mentioned are Motorola Talkabouts, not Nextel. They recommend certain channels.

Edited by Team LaLonde

Is there a channel on a CB that local geocachers can talk on? I have a base station and mobile and i am located in central PA. I would like to talk to other Geocachers that are in my area over the CB if they have them.

Thanks

Dane

Outside of a few sectors in the trucking world, CB radio is little used by the general public, and particularly, by outdoors enthusiasts, in the USA anymore. In fact, over 95% of the CB radio shops that were in existence at the peak of the CB craze are now gone from the landscape. However, Free Radio Service (FRS) handhelds have become very popular for use in outdoor and adventure endeavors, and, as the FAQ points out, there are two channels on RFS service which are sometimes used by geocachers. Never bothered to get an FRS handheld myself, so far.

Well, Subsystem, I know you're not too far from my. I don't know of any other local cachers that have a CB, but there could be. I have one, but haven't used it in years. Maybe I'll try and get it set up as a base here at the house.

As an aside, we do have a local forum, although it's not all that active. Although if you and some other locals get on there and start chatting it up, that could easily change. :blink: There's a link to the forum in my signature below.

I have read about a frequency for FRS. if i remember correctly .. it is channel 2, the only thing about that is, what kind of radio is that on? the older ones had less channels than the newer ones and the channels are not always the same, a friend and I found that out. my father had an older FRS radio that didn't have all the channels and it worked with my newer Cobra Microtalk that have all 22 channels with 38 security channels. I have a set of FRS Radio's and i always have one with me (not usually on though), i do turn it on to channel 2 when i am caching in hopes of talking to other geocachers in the area. :blink:

I have read about a frequency for FRS. if i remember correctly .. it is channel 2, the only thing about that is, what kind of radio is that on? the older ones had less channels than the newer ones and the channels are not always the same, a friend and I found that out. my father had an older FRS radio that didn't have all the channels and it worked with my newer Cobra Microtalk that have all 22 channels with 38 security channels. I have a set of FRS Radio's and i always have one with me (not usually on though), i do turn it on to channel 2 when i am caching in hopes of talking to other geocachers in the area. :blink:

The frequencies are assigned by the FCC, so channel two on any FRS radio will be the same frequency. The privacy codes are not so sure.

There's more information here.