Gpx Files

In anticipation of a trip to the Galapagos Islands this summer, I found, on the Web (www.travelbygps.com) a GPS map of the Galapagos in .gpx format. So the questions are: can I upload this to my Magellan Gold?

If so, how do I upload it? And would it be better if I also added the Worlwide Basemap from Magellan?

Thanks.

In anticipation of a trip to the Galapagos Islands this summer, I found, on the Web (www.travelbygps.com) a GPS map of the Galapagos in .gpx format. So the questions are: can I upload this to my Magellan Gold?

If so, how do I upload it? And would it be better if I also added the Worlwide Basemap from Magellan?

Thanks.

If the World Base Map CD contains the Galapagos Islands, then yes absolutely load it. However that has nothing to do with uploading the waypoints that are contained in a GPX file. To do that you will need to use GSAK. So then the issue becomes how do you get them into GSAK? When you state that you found a GPS map, what exactly do you mean? If there is a .gpx file of Geocaching waypoints then you ought to be able to load the .gpx file directly into GSAK just like any other .gpx file. Failing that, you could just create a PQ using just one of the geocaching waypoint names on the island as the starting point for the search and make the search radius large enough to cover the entire island. The gpx file created would then be loaded into GSAK and off you go. This of course presumes that you feel comfortable using GSAK and running PQ's. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Team Cotati

Contrary to popular belief in Geocachingsville, not every GPX file is a pocket query from Groundspeak. The file the OP is likely speaking of just contains 30 waypoints, but others could contain tracks and routes of roads and such. There are a large number of applications that can work with such files. Many can send them to a a Meridian. GSAK (and GPSBabel) are but two.

GSAK is very good at what it does, but for manipulating things that aren't geocaches (the "G" in "GSAK") other tools are worth considering.

Well there you go. My appologies dude, I had erroneously assumed that you had discovered that there were some geocaches on the island, silly me. What ever you find in those files, I hope that you enjoy it. Please do enjoy your trip. Post some pictures for us when you return, will you? Remember, have fun. <_<:P:ph34r:

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks, guys. Revisting the Website where I found the map file (which includes Waypoints for key spots) I discovered a free trial of an application which should work. Probably should have done the research before posting here, but I know I can rely on the geocaching community.

Last time I looked, there were a couple of virtuals in the Galapagos, which we will pursue. We are not big numbers people, and have stopped counting virtuals unless they are special. Figure if we go umpteen thousand miles from home, and there are only virtuals, then the virtuals are special enough to add to our modest tally.

The last word of thanks: Following link provided by Robertlipe, I downloaded EZGPS and used that to upload the .GPX file to my Merigold. Next, I fired up MapSend and downloaded the set of Waypoints from the Merigold into a MapSend .WPT file. Then I was able to add the four GC waypoints to the list so now I can upload both sets of waypoints to the GPS unit. (Just waiting to see if the Fathers Day Fairy heeds my request for the WorldWide basemap.) Once again: thanks, guys.

Edited by The Old Bet Brigade

The last word of thanks: Following link provided by Robertlipe, I downloaded EZGPS and used that to upload the .GPX file to my Merigold. Next, I fired up MapSend and downloaded the set of Waypoints from the Merigold into a MapSend .WPT file. Then I was able to add the four GC waypoints to the list so now I can upload both sets of waypoints to the GPS unit. (Just waiting to see if the Fathers Day Fairy heeds my request for the WorldWide basemap.) Once again: thanks, guys.

Say dude, I never did understand what exactly was contained in those special gpx files. There had to be more than just geocache waypoints. :D:D:ninja:

Sorry for the delay in answering the last question. I also was wondering. In fact, the file contains only waypoints. However, the Website includes descriptions of what natural or scenic attraction can be found at each waypoint. Since we will be on a naturalist-guided tour, I expect the interesting stuff will be pointed out to us, but if the guide skips something along the way -- or we trek near something of interest -- I figure the waypoints will be a help. Who knows.

Sorry for the delay in answering the last question. I also was wondering. In fact, the file contains only waypoints. However, the Website includes descriptions of what natural or scenic attraction can be found at each waypoint. Since we will be on a naturalist-guided tour, I expect the interesting stuff will be pointed out to us, but if the guide skips something along the way -- or we trek near something of interest -- I figure the waypoints will be a help. Who knows.

Thank you. :laughing::tired::lol: