Sorting Caches By Location In Ireland

Marty Hewlett

Hi:

We're absolutely new to this sport and have just found our first cache near our home in Taos, New Mexico (Yeah!).

We're going to be car touring around Ireland for the month of July and would like to combine geocaching with hiking while there. Is there any way to sort through the large number of sites in Ireland (>400) to identify them by location? Our trip takes us pretty much everywhere in the Republic, but looking at each cache description to see where it's located is painfully slow.

Thanks to everyone,

Marty and Gail Hewlett

Taos, New Mexico

B)

Hi:

We're absolutely new to this sport and have just found our first cache near our home in Taos, New Mexico (Yeah!).

We're going to be car touring around Ireland for the month of July and would like to combine geocaching with hiking while there. Is there any way to sort through the large number of sites in Ireland (>400) to identify them by location? Our trip takes us pretty much everywhere in the Republic, but looking at each cache description to see where it's located is painfully slow.

Thanks to everyone,

Marty and Gail Hewlett

Taos, New Mexico

:D

Yeah, you've got that right. Go here: http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_r...cabularies/tgn/

Enter the various city names that apply to your trip in the 'find name' box. Then in the returned results select the 'inhabited place' that matches your destination. Go there and the coordinates will be available in degree decimal notation. Use that as your search criteria...........happy caching dude!! <_<:P:D

Yeah, you've got that right. Go here: http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_r...cabularies/tgn/

Enter the various city names that apply to your trip in the 'find name' box. Then in the returned results select the 'inhabited place' that matches your destination. Go there and the coordinates will be available in degree decimal notation. Use that as your search criteria...........happy caching dude!! :anitongue::ph34r::D

Awesome! That works really well. That does exactly what I needed. Ireland here we come!

Marty and Gail :(

:) I'm heading over in November. I've found the Irish Geocaching Website very helpful. Enjoy your trip and save a few brews for me.

I'll second this site. My wife and I did our honeymoon in Ireland last August and found this site worked extremely well. It's just a point and click on the city your near. The only problem I had was figuring out where to click for the Aaron Isles.

Just click on Irish Caches and then interactive map, choose the county you'll be in and then click on the city and it'll show all the caches in the area. Once you get to Ireland, you can use your GPSr to get your current coords to find out which ones are closest to you.

This was my favorite cache, Nore Valley View. It's in a little town called Inistioge (pronounced Inish Teage). A couple of movies have been filmed there (I don't remember which ones at the moment) and it's a beautiful little village that I highly recommend. There are incredible views of the valley from the cache location.