Problem With Compass, Please Help!

I am new to gps's, and I just bought a garmin etrex. It has been working for the past 2 days, but today the compass is not functioning properly. When I am traveling directly north, the north pointer on the map page points the correct direction, but the compass does not point right on north, it points a bit to the west (1 full line thingy). When I walk in a direction that makes the compass point north, the map arrow is off north. This happens with all directions. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

On my 60CSx you go to the compass page, hit menu and select "calibrate compass". Don't know if it's the same on the etrex... (but hey, I'm bored so I might as well spew answers to questions I'm totally unqualified to respond to :lol:<_<:D ). Seriously, though-- it does sound like some sort of calibration issue. Check the manual on that :o

No, mine doesn't have a magnetic compass, so it doesn't need/have the callibrating feature. It just judges the direction by where I'm moving from/to.

I have now added a waypoint at the north pole, and in the compass screen it is also off north by one notch. I think I might just get a better more accurate gps anyway, because the etrex was never very accurate.

Edited by dontpanic0

The etrex is just as accurate as any other non-WAAS GPS (and WAAS is always turned of on my units anyway). Now about the compass (though you don't actually have a compass), find out if you are set to magnetic north or true north. I don't know where you live, but unless you happen to live in Macon County Georgia, Mag. north and true north or different. I am betting you are set to mag. north, therefore you are seeing the declination difference between the two.