Uploading An Image For A Waymark

"Seems that the majority of Categories have the same basic requirement...

Take a picture of yourself at the Waymark

Often this is augmented with while holding your GPS or another item but not always.

The 'Uploaded Image' in Waymarking is the equivalent of 'Sign the Logbook' in Geocaching."

My reply:

How do you upload an image? Someone suggested getting a disposable camera. How do you upload the photo that you took for a waymark from a disposable camera? Put the photo on a CD. Wouldn't that get rather expensive just to show that you were at a waymark.

Well, one could purchase a digital camera. I didn't work for me. My computer would not accept digital photos so I purchased a laptop computer (also a photo scanner) as well as the digital camera to do Waymarking.

Some owners do not mind when you put the requirements at the end of the page. Others do mind. So I get logs with no photos as the person did not realize that a photo was required.

And then some owners require photos with a GPSr. And then other owners do not have any guidelines at all. If I require a photo for a waymark, I am concerned as the requirement is not there to back me up.

Edited by Rose Red

"Seems that the majority of Categories have the same basic requirement...

Take a picture of yourself at the Waymark

Often this is augmented with while holding your GPS or another item but not always.

The 'Uploaded Image' in Waymarking is the equivalent of 'Sign the Logbook' in Geocaching."

My reply:

How do you upload an image? Someone suggested getting a disposable camera. How do you upload the photo that you took for a waymark from a disposable camera? Put the photo on a CD. Wouldn't that get rather expensive just to show that you were at a waymark.

Well, one could purchase a digital camera. I didn't work for me. My computer would not accept digital photos so I purchased a laptop computer (also a photo scanner) as well as the digital camera to do Waymarking.

Some owners do not mind when you put the requirements at the end of the page. Others do mind. So I get logs with no photos as the person did not realize that a photo was required.

And then some owners require photos with a GPSr. And then other owners do not have any guidelines at all. If I require a photo for a waymark, I am concerned as the requirement is not there to back me up.

If you started asking questions as a verification, haven't you come full circle back to Virtuals? I really like Virtuals. The only thing I like about Waymarking is creating the waymarks. I have no interest in looking for waymarks. I wonder if anyone will be very interested in looking for my waymarks. I see a lot of waymarks being created but I wonder how many are actually being found besides the owner of the waymark.

If you started asking questions as a verification, haven't you come full circle back to Virtuals? I really like Virtuals. The only thing I like about Waymarking is creating the waymarks. I have no interest in looking for waymarks. I wonder if anyone will be very interested in looking for my waymarks. I see a lot of waymarks being created but I wonder how many are actually being found besides the owner of the waymark.

Since the focus at the moment is on creating categories and waymarks, as you have been doing, you probably won't see too much "visiting" until the db is chock full of waymarks.

In order of importance:

1. Categories

2. Waymarks

3. Visits/Logs

~1 year from now:

1. Waymarks

2. Categories

3. Visits/Logs

> 1 year from now:

1. Visits/Logs/Waymarks

2. Waymarks

3. Categories

Of course interest will progress naturally; this is simply my prediction based on what I have observed so far.

Rose Red Posted May 17 2006, 09:57 PM

Waymarking is the replacement for Virtuals as well as Locationless, so the Verification Question makes sense in some ways.

You are right that it is challenging for Visitors to know the Category requirements unless you add them to your Waymark itself.

But default rules apply...

1. Take a picture of the Waymark without your GPS in the frame
  2. Take a picture of the Waymark with your GPS in the frame
  3. Take a picture of yourself at the Waymark
  4. Take a picture of yourself at the Waymark holding your GPS

For my Categories.... people must upload an image of themselves at the Waymark... however, I'm not a tyrant (well.... a little bit of one anyway), and if someone Visits one of my Waymarks I accept that they did.

RoseRed, you've hit the nail on the head with an inserted problem at the very core of Waymarking... The Category Manager (the one that makes the Global rules) can ask for certain images from Visitors but has no way of enforcing them. The Waymark Owner can't possibly remember all of the rules when spread across multiple Categories either, nor can they actually enforce the rules as created by the Category Manager.

Basically, the whole VISITING a Waymark is on the honour system. No matter what happens or what rules are created, the Visitor can claim a Visit ALWAYS.

Is that a problem? Not really in my opinion.

When it comes to Visitors following rules... I don't really care.

When it comes to people adding Waymarks in my Category... I CARE A LOT!

You might wonder why? Because to get a Waymark Listed in my Category it must pass through me or another Officer in my Group to be acceptable for content and esthetics. Ultimately every Waymark in my Category reflects in part on my ability to provide good Waymarks. But if people wanna cheat and pad their numbers by faking Visits... big whoopie!

:cry: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar