Anybody Know About The Lowrance Ifinder Pro Plus

Thot

Anybody know anything good or bad about the Lowrance iFinder Pro Plus?

It's a fine unit, the mapping is second to none, the ability to work under tree cover is like every other iFinder, the unit is much faster than gargellans and it will cost you less than half what you will pay for a comparable gargellan. Oh yeah, it has a much better screen than gargellans too.

On the minus side, it isn't waterproof.

Anybody know anything good or bad about the Lowrance iFinder Pro Plus?

. . . the ability to work under tree cover is like every other iFinder

And I assume you mean this is good?

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Thot

It's spec'ed at getting within 10 meters (~35 feet), where my SporTrak is spec'ed at 3 meters with WAAS. I wondered what that might mean.

The ads emphasize boating and driving use -- they don't mention geocaching.

Those were the two things that worried me a little.

I'm using an iFinder Pro now, and can't say enough about it's accuracy, sensitivity, performance, & display resolution, especially for how little (relative to Gargellans) they cost.

Currently I think the Pro is a discontinued model in the Lowrance camp. The good news here is, you can probably grab one pretty cheap! The Pro has been replaced by the H2O model, which is functionally identical except the H2O is more waterproof & available in TFT hi res color (instead of hi res 16 level greyscale).

I'm using an iFinder Pro now, and can't say enough about it's accuracy, sensitivity, performance, & display resolution, especially for how little (relative to Gargellans) they cost.

Currently I think the Pro is a discontinued model in the Lowrance camp. The good news here is, you can probably grab one pretty cheap! The Pro has been replaced by the H2O model, which is functionally identical except the H2O is more waterproof & available in TFT hi res color (instead of hi res 16 level greyscale).

Thanks for the reply.

Thot,

No worries, your looking at a fine unit.

I use it's "brother" so to speak, the AirMap 500. GSAK does an excellent job of sending it Geocache info.

It is a discontinued unit, Lowrance has made many improvements to it's newer counterparts, but it is by no means a bad unit. You mentioned EPE readings, Lowrance will show higher EPE, but this does not mean you have less accuracy. Actually I'd rather believe a Lowrance showing 35 feet than a Gargellan showing 6.

It uses an SD card instead of a standard cable. This also means it has expandable memory, up to 1GB I believe, and can store massive amounts of mapping on the large cards. In addition, it can hold many thousands of waypoints in the card, and then display them 500, or possibly 1000 at a time (depending on your units age.)

It uses an SD card instead of a standard cable.

I'm helping my daughter-in-law select a GPSr. One use she my have for it is to hook it up to her laptop in the car and use it with Microsoft Streets and Trips for tracking/guiding. This requires being able to connect it via cable to the laptop. Other than this, it looks like a real good deal at $150.

I'm helping my daughter-in-law select a GPSr. One use she my have for it is to hook it up to her laptop in the car and use it with Microsoft Streets and Trips for tracking/guiding. This requires being able to connect it via cable to the laptop. Other than this, it looks like a real good deal at $150.

Just find her a copy of Map Create 6. She'll have a better map. Take a little piece of velcro and velcro the unt onto the dash where she can see it and she's good to go.

You might look around for an iWay 100m. It comes with Map Create, the card reader, a better iFinder, and a memory chip too, and you might just find the wqhol works for under $150 brand new. There's still a few new 100m's on the market.

Just find her a copy of Map Create 6. She'll have a better map. Take a little piece of velcro and velcro the unt onto the dash where she can see it and she's good to go.

You might look around for an iWay 100m. It comes with Map Create, the card reader, a better iFinder, and a memory chip too, and you might just find the wqhol works for under $150 brand new. There's still a few new 100m's on the market.

This is the one she's looking at

Miles is talking about => this model <= & it's a great GPS. It's the ONLY handheld autorouting/rerouting GPS on the market that has talking autorouting(!) Not sure why Lowrance discontinued it before making a handheld replacement, but anyway it can probably be found pretty cheap. Personally I'd LOVE to see a 100m package for as low as $150,, where?? (because I'd buy TWO! :smile: )

Miles is talking about => this model <= & it's a great GPS. It's the ONLY handheld autorouting/rerouting GPS on the market that has talking autorouting(!) Not sure why Lowrance discontinued it before making a handheld replacement, but anyway it can probably be found pretty cheap. Personally I'd LOVE to see a 100m package for as low as $150,, where?? (because I'd buy TWO! :smile: )

Here's one for $169

Here's one for $169

Snatch that sucker up. You can't buy half as much gargellan for twice the money! You might find one for $30 or so less, but the price you have still beats the H out of any competetive unit.

We bought a Lowrance iFinder Pro because my husband knows best :) and now he's disappointed that I can't figure out how to use it. We've found a few caches with it just by punching lots of buttons and getting lucky, but never know how to do it again the next time. The manual shows how to do a million things we won't ever need to do - we just want to enter the coordinates of a cache and watch the numbers count down as we get closer to it. Is there a place I can get *simple* directions?

Thousand Okie