Mapping Software Shows Where "it Thinks I Am"

I have a Legend Cx with City Navigator V.7. It works perfectly when in my car or out caching. I work for the railroad. And while traveling by train, the GPSr will show my location on the tracks as long as there are no streets near by. If there is a street near by it will show me on the street until that street gets to far away and then it will jump back to the tracks or to the next nearby street. Not sure if this is a setting or it's just beyond the scope of the mapping software to follow a railroad at 125 miles per hour. Any suggestions?

Mike

It is doing that because of the lock on road feature. I don't know for sure if "lock on road" applies to traintracks or not.

While it is showing you on the traintracks does it usually keep you spot on? Or do you find spots where the traintracks on the map go one way, and the gps has you going another.

This is usually caused by the maps just being off, either they were right at one time and they moved the road, or they were just plain off. I imagine that they don't just move train tracks as often so it might not be a problem.

Thanks,

kg.

As others have mentioned, this effect is due to the "Road Lock" feature that Garmin has. I have the same problem when riding on bicycle paths that sometimes pass near roads and the cursor jumps over to the nearby roadway. When this feature is turned on the unit assumes that anyone traveling above a threshold speed (10 mph in my model) must be on a road and therefore moves the cursor over to any nearby roads. Of course people on trains or on bike paths don't match the assumption.

Fortunately the feature can be turned off in most Garmins, including your LegendCx. Go into the Map Setup menus and look for "Lock to Roads" under the Road options. Toggle it to "Off."

Edited by peter

It is doing that because of the lock on road feature. I don't know for sure if "lock on road" applies to traintracks or not.

While it is showing you on the traintracks does it usually keep you spot on? Or do you find spots where the traintracks on the map go one way, and the gps has you going another.

This is usually caused by the maps just being off, either they were right at one time and they moved the road, or they were just plain off. I imagine that they don't just move train tracks as often so it might not be a problem.

Thanks,

kg.

When it shows on the tracks, it shows spot on. I'll try the road lock feature and see what happens. Thanks.

Mike

Edited by mike91911

Well I tried turning off the lock on road feature and I still have the same problem. I think it's the speeds that are causing it. It seemed to work fine at lower speeds, below 60 mph. Anything above that and forget it. And over 100mph was actually kind of funny. I watch the curser moving along the tracks until we come to a nearby road and then the cursor takes a sudden 90 degree turn heading down some country road at 125 miles per hour. Trains don't handle sudden 90 degree turns very well. :ph34r: I will say this, when ever I drive anywhere, those maps have been spot on. The auto routing picks some interesting routes though. :o

Mike