Vista Cx - Clicking On Waypoints In Map View...

When I click on a waypoint in map view, sometimes it brings up the details of the waypoint (showing the comment field and coordinates etc.) other times it comes up "move" and allows me to move the waypoint.

I can't see any consistency here. It appears to be completely at random.

How can I make it so that when I click on a waypoint on the map it brings up the details all the time? I don't want to be able to move waypoints on the map - that would be no good at all if I did it on a geocache by accident and didn't realise I had moved it. I just want to be able to click and have it bring up the details, then select goto.

Any ideas?

Edited by HooloovooUK

When I click on a waypoint in map view, sometimes it brings up the details of the waypoint (showing the comment field and coordinates etc.) other times it comes up "move" and allows me to move the waypoint.

I can't see any consistency here. It appears to be completely at random.

Don't have a VistaCx, but on my Garmins if I click on a waypoint from the regular map page then I get the waypoint information page. But if I had previously chosen 'Map' from a waypoint information page and then select a waypoint on the resulting map, I'll get the 'move' prompt and can modify the waypoint location.

Don't have a VistaCx, but on my Garmins if I click on a waypoint from the regular map page then I get the waypoint information page. But if I had previously chosen 'Map' from a waypoint information page and then select a waypoint on the resulting map, I'll get the 'move' prompt and can modify the waypoint location.

Thanks Peter I'll give that a try. That could be what I'm doing, but as I said there didn't seem to be any obvious pattern as to when it gave the info and when it came up move.

Doesn't appear to be documented in the manual either.

While out caching it happened to me and the coords changed. What the H*** good is that?

It's a pain isn't it? I can't imagine ever having a situation where I would want to move a waypoint by such an inaccurate method as clicking and dragging on the map..........

But Peter is correct. I've testing it out. On the normal map page, click on a waypoint and you get the information page. But if you click "Map" from an information page, when you click on waypoints you get the 'move' option. Seems a bit daft to be.... wish there was an option to turn move off completely. If I want to move a waypoint I'll do it by editing the coordinates!!

It's a pain isn't it? I can't imagine ever having a situation where I would want to move a waypoint by such an inaccurate method as clicking and dragging on the map..........

It can be a nasty 'Gotcha' while geocaching, but once you realize the possibility it should be easy to avoid. Even if you click on the waypoint and accidentally move the cursor you can still get out by hitting Quit or Esc and the coordinates won't be changed.

I have found the capability handy for some non-geocaching situations. One is that I've entered our local subway/rail system stations into my GPS as waypoints since they're not on the MetroGuide maps. I initially put them in based on the published addresses of each station, but that's sometimes off a bit on the maps. So when I get to a station entrance I use the 'Move' feature to reposition it. If I'm entering the south entrance I may estimate that the station center is about 100' north of my current position so that's where I position the waypoint.

I was in a car doing some sight-seeing and passing by an interesting point that was NOT a "Point of Interest" and wanted to mark it as a waypoint. The place was actually a couple hundred yards away from the street. So I moved the waypoint to an approximate distance and azimuth on the map that was far more accurate than marking my location in the street at the time.

Edited by Neo_Geo

so maybe the move feature has some utility, and thanks for the tip for using the quit button ... but per the request by the original poster, has anyone figured a way to permanently (or selectively) disable the move feature?

it's a total hassle if you want to view the waypoint info for a cache near a cache you just located on the map - e.g., If I perform the following steps (I'm using a vistaC, but it appears to function similar to what others have described for the Cx):

a) main menu/find/geocache - then select a cache not on the last map page you were viewing

B) when the waypoint info screen shows up, click on Map

c) zoom in until you can view a neaby cache (i.e., not the one originally selected) and click on it

BUT when you click on this nearby cache, all you get is the "MOVE IT" feature - if you hit the quit button (repeatedly), sure you avoid moving it, but the map reverts to the last one you were viewing (prior to doing steps a-c) above, so you cannot get the info on the cache on the newer map (unless you write down the waypoint name and go back to the find feature). ugh!

any suggestions?

Edited by somainer
any suggestions?

Unfortunately I've not found a way around this yet.

My problem is exactly as you describe. You use the map option to view the cache, then want to look at details of some other cache nearby but you can't. Exiting the "map" option takes you back to your current location.

So as you say you either need to remember the cache name and go through the find process again, or remember the coordinates of the cache and manually scroll the map back there to see it again. PITA!

So I'm bumping this to the top in case someone has found a workaround.......