Cool Find

andylphoto

I located a benchmark yesterday (wasn't that hard really) but I think it's pretty cool. Noticed the witness post from the highway a while back, and it seemed new. Finally got some time, and stopped by to take a look. Turns out it WAS new. So new in fact, that it hasn't even made it into the NGS database that I can see.

I logged RK460 on Geocaching, and also included photos of the new one, making clear that it was NOT the BM described...but is a Reset BM for the one described. New station is about 70 feet from the old one. PID for the old one is PID RK460.

Can someone describe what exactly a "reset" is/does? I assume it is intended to be essentially a replacement for an existing marker, possibly with more precise coordinates? I do know that this portion of highway is scheduled to be resurfaced this summer. I don't know if any blasting is scheduled, but if the ROW is widened, the old one could be destroyed. The rock it is mounted in is relatively close to the shoulder of the road.

Also...any problems with the log as I have it? I did want to post pictures of the new one someplace, but with the similar designation, a casual observer might find the new one and believe they've found the old one.

If the new one is in place, then the old one is going to be destroyed by construction. MDOT is removing rock that is close to US-41.

btw-I worked for the M-DOT till 2002 (retired w/30 yrs) and set several resets along US-41, 1 in Negaunee by Ferrel gas, several up in Baraga county. All because the rock ourcrops were being cut back. Matter of fact we were in the area in 1985 when NGS placed these marks along 41. They started in Marquette, ran west along 28 into Wisconsin and on the Dulth/Superior. I saw them in operation, 4 man crew, a suburban with intrumentman and notekeeper with 2 rodman on dirt bikes. The had racks on the SUV that carried the bikes. They covered a lot of gound in one day, several miles or more.

FYI-It could take a long time to show up in the NGS database. Ones I set (2002) along 41 in Barage county are still not there. After we did all the field work, compute the new elevation and the paperwork, they are sent to the NGS advisor in Lansing and he takes it from there. If all the i's are dotted and the t 's are crossed, it will get posted.

Edited by Z15

Thanks Z15. I thought of the upcoming construction this morning, and it got me wondering.

There was one up by Three Lakes my dad posted a DNF on recently--it was on my list to look for this summer. By the description I assumed it had been destroyed when they took back the rock a couple years ago, but I had not yet been there to look. Now I'll have to look and see if there's a reset nearby. :)

I did read with interest the note you posted on GC about the one near Ferrelgas in Negaunee.