How To Find Maps

Yesterday I bought my 1st GPS, Magellan Meridian Gold. So far I'm pretty overwhelmed. I'm going fishing in Canada in May and I would like to find a GPS map for that area. But I'm having a hard time finding maps. Are there any really good places to search, or should I just google and hope for the best?

A lot of map packs I've seen say they cover a broad area, but how do you really know if the one particular place your looking for is included?

How difficult is it to create your own map? Any software/tutorial for doing this?

Thanks from a true GPS newbie.

Sorry...Proprietary is the way it happens with GPS. This is one of the very most common questions that new GPS users have..."Do I have to buy Garmin's maps for my Garmin receiver?" or the same question with Magellan receivers and maps.

Unfortunately...Yes to both.

There is a labor intensive way to create your own maps for Garmin units (I don't think there is for Magellan, but I might be wrong.), but it goes way beyond what most people are willing to put into it.

This is where an actual salesman in an actual real, hands-on store can clear up these sorts of questions before they are even asked by the customer.