Starting A Group: Forgotten Neighborhoods

I was looking for a place to add a waymarker idea that I had but there seemed no place to put it. I've done a ton of research into Pittsburgh, Pa's Chinatown (which has almost vanished) and I'd like to add it to the site. Most people don't even know there was a Chinatown here in the Steel City so I wanted to give them something to checkout.

The purpose of this category is to bring to light those forgotten parts of towns across America that were ethnic neighborhoods. I think the Category Proposal pretty much hits the nail on the head but I'm open to suggestions. I think this would fit into the history catagory.

Ok, I hope I did this right.

I have no idea if I'm doing this right so bear with me. If anyone wants to start a group for Forgotten Neighborhoods, then post or do what you have to do. I'm still a tad confused as to what one has to do to get a catagory. I've given the Hydra 10,000 tacos, I've made sure to put the lightning away and I've even swept the ocean floor.

Ok, so now what do I do?

Any premium member can start a Group, so if you think your Forgotten Neighborhoods category idea has merit, you can create the Group yourself. You can then turn on 'open enrollment', post a link to the group here, and ask others to join. To create a Group, go to My Page --> My Groups and click on Create New Group.

If you get at least two other people to join, you can promote them to Officers, then create a category proposal, and put it out for "Peer Review" (Yes/No voting on the category).

It might help if you first post a description of what your Forgotten Neighborhoods category idea is all about. Give people a better understanding of what you are thinking about, and perhaps some others will join in on the discussion.

I understand the idea of Chinatown no longer being around... as related to it having once been part of a city.

But that would be a fairly unique case I think.... however, maybe this is what you mean...

Around me, all of the little hamlets have been absorbed into the major city... so Power Glen, and Merritton and such are no longer actual places (although they are still in my GPS maps :blink: )

So, being able to get a list of those would be cool. Very historic... come see where "HANNON was before it was absorbed by HAMILTON"

They aren't so much of Ghost Towns which to me implies abandoned buildings... they are more of a "There used to be a town here, or it used to be on its own"

Is that what you are looking for... or do you mean "This used to be the Fashion District of town, now you can harldy tell" ?

:o The Blue Quasar

I understand the idea of Chinatown no longer being around... as related to it having once been part of a city.

But that would be a fairly unique case I think.... however, maybe this is what you mean...

Around me, all of the little hamlets have been absorbed into the major city... so Power Glen, and Merritton and such are no longer actual places (although they are still in my GPS maps ;) )

So, being able to get a list of those would be cool. Very historic... come see where "HANNON was before it was absorbed by HAMILTON"

They aren't so much of Ghost Towns which to me implies abandoned buildings... they are more of a "There used to be a town here, or it used to be on its own"

Is that what you are looking for... or do you mean "This used to be the Fashion District of town, now you can harldy tell" ?

;) The Blue Quasar

I think thats even better. Sorry if I seem confused on the way things run around here. I usually don't post but I'll give the group thing a shot.

I'm just curious about the scenario that people who live in a neighborhood now might not like to find that their neighborhood was listed in a website as a 'forgotten neighborhood'. Maybe they'd like it and maybe they wouldn't.

I think your worry to much ;)