Safety First

My good friend, YanniG asked me to post last nights experience while looking for GCRCM3 - The Hidey-Hole Cache.

We live in Nova Scotia on the east coast of Canada. Where we are it is very rural...the population is quite small and there is lots of wilderness areas to hide geocaches. The following is the log I posted for the cache and our mis-adventure last night:

April 5 by Uniacke Raiders (115 found)

We found this cache just after 8:00 pm....ya, that's right...it got dark as I was signing the log.

There were 4 of us on this "misadventure". Myself, Caroline(my wife), our neighbor Rosie and Nike our German Shepherd.

It had turned out to be a great looking evening so when I returned home from work we decided to take a look for this cache. We found WP1 after a short search and set off for WP2. After a hike we found the general location of WP2 but the GPS was bouncing all over the place and it took us quite awhile before we stumbled upon it.

At this point we should have returned to the car but ......

I had an idea of where the general location of the final cache so we pressed on. As it turns out this was a mistake.

The light was fading as we approached the cache location and luckily we found it without too much trouble....an awesome location, btw.

I signed the log as fast as I could. We took a small tape measure and left a package of bungie cords, a pack of auto fuses and a cigarette lighter splitter thing.

After replacing the cache we headed back toward the parking lot. The light faded quickly and with no flashlight we took advantage of the 1/2 moon to light the trail where the trees allowed. It was slow going but we were doing "ok" until we came to a stream that either crossed the trail or came close to it. Either way, we managed to get off the trail. When we realized our mistake we stopped and searched in different directions to try to pick it up again.

We could not manage to find it so after awhile we used the GPS to get a bearing on WP1 and bushwacked a straight line course thru the woods. Before we reached WP1 we found a field that we recognized, and breathing a sigh headed for the car.

We underestimated the time we'd be on the trail (can I blame WP2? LOL ) and didn't come prepared. I left the flashlights, emergency blankets and 1st Aid Kit at home. I did have water and some food but certainly was not prepared to be in the woods at night.

As it turns out we were lucky as it was only a short distance from getting out when we lost the trail.

Another lesson learned.

BTW, when I woke up this morning there was 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground.....brrrrrrrr.....I believe the fact that we slept in our warm beds last night was more good luck than we deserved.