What To Look For In A Cheap/used Pocket Pc?

emkat

I am looking into getting a very cheap pocket pc, mostly for pocket queries, and possibly as a backup GPSr sometime down the road.

I'm usually very knowledgeable about tech gadgets, but I have never really had any reason to research/know anything about these things before.....sooo

If anybody out there has any advice on what to look for. Maybe an older model that you currently use that works just fine...or one that you would suggest avoiding. I am currently looking at two older dell models the x3 and x5, are these any good?

I am perfectly ok with buying a used one as price is unfortunatly a big concern...but I don't want to buy a cheap pocket pc that is only good enough to be an expensive doorstop.

I will also need software for the thing, I have looked at two programs, are either of these any good:

http://www.smittyware.com/ppc/cachemate/

And

http://microsoft.handango.com/PlatformProd...productId=90887

Any other software you might suggest?

THANK YOU for any information you can give!

Cachemate, with cachenav is a must get. GPStuner is also a great program, but you might consider stepping up to full fledged mapping routing program like mapopolis.

x5 is what I use and the benifits are that it has a CF and SD card. You can add a memory SD card and use the CF slot for a rather inexpensive GPS addon.

sites to check out would be

www.semsons.com

www.gpspassion.com

GPXsonar is free, and very, very useful.

I own both GPStuner and Vito Navigator II, but no longer use them. A PPC is too expensive and fragile to use as a GPS if you're hiking. It's fine for urban use and reading cache details, but it's better to just buy a robust GPS like the Magellan Meridian Gold (I've bought two I liked it so much). Then you can store the PPC in an inexpensive PelicanBox in your backpack to protect it until it's needed. This is cheaper than buying a PPC, a BlueTooth GPS, an Otterbox for the PPC, and an Otterbox for the GPS. Of course if all you're hunting are film canisters in parking lot lamp posts, a PPC and a good BT GPS would be fine.

PocketStreets comes with the inexpensive Microsoft Streets and Trips, and I find this program useful to get a visual layout of the roads and cache locations. You can get it at Walmart for about $30. Plus there's a lot you can do with the PC side of that package (cache run planning, polygon filters, push-pin maps, etc.)

For road navigation I use something that's NOT cheap, but it was worth every penny. I use my PPC with a BlueTooth GPS on the dash and iGuidance navigation software. This does auto-routing (and automatic routing if you miss a turn) with real voice prompting (not just text-to-speach or beeping). You can put in the lat/lon and it'll take you to the nearest road automatically.

I use a Dell Axim x30 with a holux gpslim 236. They work great. I bought a Rhinoskin a long time ago to protect it from drops. (It does protect it from drops, I've tested it inadvertantly many times) I would have to say that some type of protective case is almost a necessity. It doesn't have to be an expensive otter box though. The case I have isn't waterproof. But so far I haven't ran into many geocaching trips through water.

Features for a PDA should include Bluetooth, to keep the option open for a Bluetooth reciever. Windows Mobile 2003 se. That will give you the option for landscape mode if so desired. If you can find one with a 640x480 screen that would be nice, but not a necessity. The higher res screen will enable you to see more of the map features clearly while still zoomed out. I use a program called magic button to switch between programs easily. Processor speed of course makes a difference. I would recommend at least 400 Mhz.

I use BeelingGPS. It can handle the gpx files completely. I tried gpstuner but everytime I tried to access the gpx info it tried to connect to the web for it. While I'm out in the field that's not possible for me. The only thing that is lacking in BeelineGPS is mapping. I use Mapopolis for that. There is a program called gpxtomlt. It takes the gpx file and makes waypoints for mapopolis. Then I use Mapopolis for navigating to the waypoint areas and then switch to Beeline to pinpoint it. There are plenty of programs to choose from. Someone should be able to find one to fit their needs. There are so many option that open up to you with a PDA that you don't get with a dedicated unit unless you are ready to pay a lot for it.

Things to look for in a Pocket PC.

64mb of main memory.

CF and SD card expansion slots (you can live with just SD)

Bluetooth and WiFi

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Upgradablity. (You can live with regular 2003).

ideally a user replacable battery (but if you are willing to dive in and replace one by taking your case apart that opens up more PDA's to purchase)

Anything that has those featurs will serve you well.

Most GPS expansions for a PDA use the CF card slot. Some will use the SD but they are not as common.

The Dell's you mention rated well as PDA's but that's all I know about them.

Edit:

Having read a bit of prior advice. Anything with these specs will have acceptable processor speed. I have found that my 624mhz is slower than my older 400mhz processor. It's all relative. The reason for 2003 SE is software compatability. SE offers a landscape mode but no press and hold a button to swap method that I'm aware of (if someone knows a way feel free to email me!) to make it easy.

Edited by Renegade Knight

For a GPS PDA I'd look for a PPC with:

300mhz or more cpu

CE2003 se OS

64 mb internal memory (or more)

dual CF & SD slots or

SDIO slot & built in Bluetooth

VGA screen (640x480 pixels)

User replaceable batteries

Out of the two Dells you've mentioned I'd go for the X5, although it's bigger/heavier it has the greater "add-on" capability. For example you could use either expansion slot for a GPS card and the other for memory or add a bluetooth card.... & so on.

I've no experience with Cachemate but have tried tried GPS Tuner and didn't like it. I currently use GSAK to upload coordinates to Pocket Streets 06 for driving & Beeline GPS for Geocaching.

& I use my PDA (Toshiba e-830 with a USGlobalSat BC-337 CF GPS Receiver) in the woods & feel comfortable doing so. The Otterbox cases mentioned are terrific & I use mine religiously outdoors. I looked at & briefly used a stand alone GPS before I bought my CF GPS card but if you do a cost comparison between the two & already own the PDA (or get a used one inexpensively) you'll get a MP3 & Video playing, memory expandable, map using, software upgradeable, color GPS unit for under $200. Add the Otterbox, extra batteries, for under $400.

I am looking into getting a very cheap pocket pc, mostly for pocket queries, and possibly as a backup GPSr sometime down the road.

If anybody out there has any advice on what to look for. Maybe an older model that you currently use that works just fine...or one that you would suggest avoiding. I am currently looking at two older dell models the x3 and x5, are these any good?

I have looked at two programs, are either of these any good:

http://www.smittyware.com/ppc/cachemate/

And

http://microsoft.handango.com/PlatformProd...productId=90887

Any other software you might suggest?

THANK YOU for any information you can give!