Running Out Of Virtual Memory

budd-rdc

It seems cache pages with high numbers of photos in the gallery will cause virtual memory to run out on a PC when "view them all on one page" option for logs is used. This has happened to me before, but my workaround was to not do this when the gallery count was high.

I tried to look at all the logs for Project APE Mission 9 just now, and before all the images were loaded, my Windows PC gave me a warning about running low on virtual memory. I don't want to workaround this one - I enjoy reading the logs and viewing the images for this cache.

I figure this depends on the configuration of each person's PC, but more people will run into this in the future, since the number logs and the photos will continually increase.

I'm no tech guy, but perhaps a memory upgrade would help.

Yup, a memory upgrade would solve the problem for me, at least temporarily.

I'm watching the bandwidth monitor on my PC, and the network sure gets busy when all the images are being loaded - wonder if this is putting any load on the Groundspeak image servers?

Then use the ReloadEvery extension for FX, and set it to refresh the page every second.

@budd-rdc: It's not "leaking" virtual memory, just using it. If you were to open up all those pictures in Photoshop you'd get the same thing. Once your computer runs out of RAM, it starts moving data to the hard drive, which Windows calls "virtual memory." Since the hard drive is much slower than RAM, your computer slows down.

Thanks for the pointers, suggestions, and escalations (viewing LC pages :unsure: ).

Turning off Javascript is probably the best suggestion for a workaround - I'll do that, thanks.

I didn't imply or mention memory leaks with this problem, just excessive use of OS's resources. The excessive disk swapping had long occured before the Windows' "running low on virtual memory" warning popped up. The bandwidth could have been better used for stuff OTHER than loading images I might not view.

I didn't comment when autoloading images features were first introduced, but I'm pointing this problem out as a possible drawback.