Recording Question

lost02

lost02 -

Easy,

On Geocaching, TU0299 = DIDN'T FIND IT. Comments: There's an interesting mark nearby - 2 9 RESET 1994 - that's in neither the Geocaching nor NGS databases.

The RESET mark would be a good candidate as a Waymark in the "Recovered US Benchmarks" sub-category.

For NGS, TU0299 = NOT FOUND. Comments: NOT FOUND. THERE IS A MARK NEAR THE DESCRIBED LOCATION THAT IS STAMPED 2 9 RESET 1994, BUT IS NOT DOCUMENTED IN THIS DATABASE. USE WITH CAUTION AS IT'S POSITION RELATIVE TO 2 9 1969 HAS NOT BEEN DOCUMENTED.

Will

lost02 -

I see that five other people "FOUND" TU0299 despite the fact that the stamping on the disk they photographed does not match the stamping described on either the Geocaching or current NGS datasheets. That happens. They get a FOUND on their statistics, but you get the respect of those of us who give a hoot about avoiding errors and going about this activity with a measure of integrity (in the sense of doing it correctly).

Like most other members of this community, I would much rather find a mark than search for it and fail to find it. But I also would much rather log an accuate NOT FOUND than an erroneous FOUND. The "find" is not the thing, the search is the thing.

Kudos to you, lost02.

Will

seventhings - Thanks. Based on the stamping we knew we didn’t find the mark that was in the database, but were unsure how to log the entry properly. When we take off our geocaching hat and put on our benchmarking hat an accurate report – Found, Not found, Destroyed – all “count” the same to us.