Dumfries And Galloway Scotland

Taken 27 March to April 2 2006 as holiday. Intend to visit as many caches as possible in Dumfries and Galloway Scotland. Based around wherever can find a youth hostel or bunkhouse or cheap static caravan. Intend to get to Old Man of Merrick. Whole event is weather permitting, as still winter up here (Lake District).

Inviting others to join in, but not a formal cache bash event.

Also looking for recommendations of where to stay.

Have not started looking for accomm, but have DG tourist guides.

Taking as many toys as can carry on car. So boots, kayak and mountain bike.

Will try to find a tidal bore on April 2 as amongst highest tides for 2006.

Realise many quesions but UK forums are such a friendly place :-)_)

When I was in that area last year, I really enjoyed a virtual called Funny Faces, one in the far west called Out on a Limb and I have two in that area which you might enjoy - film-fan or not. Just type in The Wicker Man and you'll find them. Good luck with your trip - and the weather!

Intend to get to Old Man of Merrick. Whole event is weather permitting, as still winter up here (Lake District).

The Grey Man of Merrick is my cache, please take head of the warnings on the cache page. Plan for a whole day out. It took me 4 1/2 hours in July to do the complete round route, approaching from the Lochs. For the record I go at a fast pace when walking on my own. So dependant on how fast you walk, plan for anything up to 6 or 7 hours? Trust me it's worth the walk to just see the face.

As for caches within the area, well I can't actually help, I had 2 DNF's on the day I went, and it's too far to get back too for other caches at the moment, although I am sure you will have better luck than me.

Ayrshire is worthwhile for a visit, and is not far away.

Have fun :unsure::unsure:

Sounds interesting! I assume you're going back to try Hestan Island Hop - I'd like to come with you for that one... :D

kayak or walk?

Be good to share this one as done the homework. Feeling confident. We just need to get tide right. Been planning this for 4 months. Any longer and it'll be a DUSTOFF.

day trip or several days away?

reply can be by email or here.

Intend to get to Old Man of Merrick. Whole event is weather permitting, as still winter up here (Lake District).

The Grey Man of Merrick is my cache, please take head of the warnings on the cache page. Plan for a whole day out. It took me 4 1/2 hours in July to do the complete round route, approaching from the Lochs. For the record I go at a fast pace when walking on my own. So dependant on how fast you walk, plan for anything up to 6 or 7 hours? Trust me it's worth the walk to just see the face.

As for caches within the area, well I can't actually help, I had 2 DNF's on the day I went, and it's too far to get back too for other caches at the moment, although I am sure you will have better luck than me.

Ayrshire is worthwhile for a visit, and is not far away.

Have fun :D:laughing:

Warnings are added spice, but prepared to turn back if too much. Don't know until tried.

Your pace sounds similar to my own, so thanx for timing.

Have got your route and studying it.

And prepared to change venue when weather craps out. Usually take resources and guides for 50 mile radius. Had noted Ayr caches.

Sounds interesting! I assume you're going back to try Hestan Island Hop - I'd like to come with you for that one... :)

kayak or walk?

Be good to share this one as done the homework. Feeling confident. We just need to get tide right. Been planning this for 4 months. Any longer and it'll be a DUSTOFF.

day trip or several days away?

reply can be by email or here.

I'm definitely interested - just need to arrange childcare... :)

Email sent.

Found accomm

bunkhouse www.marthrown.com <-- for individuals

and wigwams www.barnsoulfarm.co.uk <-- for groups of 2 or more

Just need decent weather.

Did not get decent weather, rained all week. Did not go. But research not wasted, advice stored. Event cache to follow in September MAYBE. Hope to go into area between 4 -10 Sept 2006. Just need to find a good camp-site.

Found Bladnoch distillery camp-site and one near Criffel.

Bizarrely, on the Tuesday at around 6 pm there was a weather window with no rain and good light. Problem was I was in Lakes, not near Dumfries. Ah shucks.

Found accomm

bunkhouse www.marthrown.com <-- for individuals

and wigwams www.barnsoulfarm.co.uk <-- for groups of 2 or more

Just need decent weather.

Now been on a recce to Galloway.

Found 4 camp-sites of note

Cheapest is BLADNOCH distillery, basic facilities, £6 per couple per night.

Mossyard Farm. Static field well kept. Touring field by shore is 800 m from toilet block £8 per couple per night.

Silvercraigs, Kirkcudbright. Council run touring site. Tourer pitches near toilets. off season price around £10.20 for four per night.

Barlochan, part of Gillespie Leisure Group. V posh about £12 per night. swimming pool etc

All have good facilities, including hook-up and free hot showers. Hope that helps next person who asks the same question.