Just A Few Questions

cassiepaige

I found out about Geocaching yesterday, and I think I have became addicted.

A few friends and I are setting out on Saturday to find some of the ones in my town, but first, I have a few questions.

1. What do you reccomend for a starter GPS. I don't want one that will cost me lots of money because I am a newbie.

2. What do people usually write in the log? Just sign names, or give a little story of your finding?

3. Any tips? The areas I am searching aren't all that crowded, but there will be some people...how should I go about getting the cache while people are around?

For a starter unit, many like the Garmin Legend. Nice unit, the ability to add detailed maps later on if you'd like, comes with a cable to attach the GPS to your computer to download multiple cache locations. Can often be found at Best Buy, some Office Depot's or at virtually all on line GPS retailers (currently about $140 at Amazon.com.

You may want to check out:

Thot's Beginner's Guide

Markwell's Update to the FAQ and

CyBret's Geocacher University.

Lot's of great advice there for beginners.

Welcome to the recreational activity/sport/hobby!

Edit: to add Garmin link and price

Edited by Sputnik 57

1. I agree with the others. Garmin Legend is a good starter unit. Should run you less than $130 (USD)

2. In my online log, I usually write a detailed account of the hunt. In the paper log I'll usually write a few words, mention my trades (if any) and sign my name.

3. Personally I try to avoid those caches with people around but many geocachers enjoy them. The most important thing to do is act like you're doing nothing wrong. Act like you belong. If you are skulking around looking over your shoulder you will attract attention. So it may be best to just walk up to the cache, grab it then head over to a nearby bench or whatever to log in and make your trade.

Some people go as far as carrying clipboards, wearing orange vests to escape notice. I don't think that's necessary.