Caching While Traveling.

rmclapp

My family and I are traveling from the Harrisburg, PA area to the Van Wert Oh area this weekend, and would like to hit a few caches along the way. Is there a way to plan caches, along a given route, with out knowledge of the area or zip codes. I looked at the FAQ page before posting this. We are new to this, and would appreciate any and all advice thank you.

Ron and Martha Clapp

I plotted my route in Mapsource and then exported the route (File, Export) as a .mdb file.

Then I used this site Zip Codes to get the zip code of various cities spaced along my route. I did multiple Pocket Queries using those zip codes and saved all of the queries into one folder. Then I used GSAK to open the FOLDER of queries into a single database.

Next use the Filter function in GSAK. Set the filter to use the .mdb file you exported from Mapsource. Select to filter on an arc. Set a limit such as .15 or .25 miles from the route and GSAK will filter the caches so you ONLY see the caches within .15 or .25 miles of the actual roads you plan to travel.

When I went from California to Oregon to Idaho to Wyoming to Nevada and back home to California I did this. I had something like 750 caches and after filtering them down to only .15 miles from the route I was traveling I think it came down to somewhere around 45 or so caches that were within a quick trip off of my route. We drove a couple of hours and stopped for a cache to rest and then did it again. It worked out really well for us.

There is a thread here somewhere with detailed instructions but I'm at work right now and don't want to take more time to look it up. Search around and you will find it. Maybe in the GSAK forum or it may be in the pinned topic.