Changing Username

purplebutterflychick

Hello,

I am rather new to geocaching and I have a question about changing your username. My daughter and I started out with a combinded username. After finding almost thirty caches she decided so wanted to have a username of her own. She registered and got her own username. I kept the original account because I had just changed it to a premium and I changed my username. Now after a long intro here is my question. Is there anyway my daughter can claim the caches she found under the combinded username?

Thanks for any help you can give me. :lol:

Hello,

I am rather new to geocaching and I have a question about changing your username. My daughter and I started out with a combinded username. After finding almost thirty caches she decided so wanted to have a username of her own. She registered and got her own username. I kept the original account because I had just changed it to a premium and I changed my username. Now after a long intro here is my question. Is there anyway my daughter can claim the caches she found under the combinded username?

Thanks for any help you can give me. :D

Yes, just have your daughter go back and log her visits to all of the caches that she did together. There are several local caches around here who have done that. Instead of her going back and saying what you took/left, which I'm assuming you already did, just have her put "Found this with my mom, Purplebutterflychick, but now I have my own account." Thats generally acceptable. BE SURE that your daughter puts the correct date! She can reference your log, and then she'll have to change the date to when you found it (the log page automatically starts with today's date.

Hope that helps! :D

I came on the boards tonight to ask just the opposite question. My husband and I have our own names but mainly cache together we would like to pull both names together into one new name. He has 4 I don't have and i have 2 he don't have. Can we combine without loosing any of our caches?

Yes!

Set up your new username/account and go back and log the all of your finds. Be sure to choose the correct date! Just say that you found this as "tweetie147 and X", but have made a joint account to log your finds together.

For future finds, if you find it together, I would suggest only using the joint name, not all three.

Hope thi shelps!

Hello,

Thanks for any help you can give me. :D

To my knowledge there is no such action as 'claiming.' However any one with a valid account can post a 'found' on any cache with the exeption of those requiring 'premium' membership. Since you are maintaining the original account as 'yours' and since your daughter actually participated in the finds, this new account which she has established seems perfectly legit to me. Two people participated in the finds and there will be two 'founds' logged. Iffin Mrs. Team Cotati ever wishes to 'go solo', which is admittedly very unlikely, I would encourage her to do the same. Whether or not she was to do so would of course be totally up to her. Since we would then no longer be a team, I might even set me up a new account too. This might cause some degree of marital stress though, you never can tell. :D:D:D:D:D